Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I recall reading that bodybuilding differed to other sports because there was no dynamic movement to be judged. I realise that sports such as diving, gymnastics etc are judged on their aesthetics of movement and points are deducted for a slip/fault but bodybuilding has no dynamic aspect when being viewed; powerlifting, on the other hand, obviously does.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Disclaimer: I have no idea how selecting new sports for the olympics works.

I do wonder if powerlifting has an image problem. I know powerlifting competitions vary greatly from fed to fed and venue to venue, but to my mind some competitions I see on video do not look much like legitimate athletic competitions. I'm thinking about those contests where there is heavy metal blaring in the background as a 300lb guy waddles out in his suit and knee supports and proceeds to dip his knees by about 5" with 1100 lbs on his back, with another bunch of 300lb goateed guys screaming and hollering their approval.

I'm not mocking this - just pointing out that meets can sometimes look more like a cross between a monster truck pull and pro-wrestling than a sport. I wonder what impression this would leave on an IOC judge. And then if that is what powerlifting seems to be about, why not choose arm-wrestling or parkour or other fringe-y endeavours?

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100

Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I recall reading that bodybuilding differed to other sports because there was no dynamic movement to be judged. I realise that sports such as diving, gymnastics etc are judged on their aesthetics of movement and points are deducted for a slip/fault but bodybuilding has no dynamic aspect when being viewed; powerlifting, on the other hand, obviously does.
Yeah, I agree with that view. Of course posing is hard work, but you're not being judged on the movements, just on appearance. A bit like someone wanting to add a show car event in NASCAR or Formula One.

I can't see bodybuilding getting into the Olympics. Ben Weider tried for about 400 years and never got beyond the Asian Games.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

The other thing is, which I've often wondered, how many sports can the Olympic games really sustain? With new events being shown at quite a few of them, or is that every Olympics (??) there has to come a point where a sport has to be dropped for another one to be accepted.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post

I do wonder if powerlifting has an image problem. I know powerlifting competitions vary greatly from fed to fed and venue to venue, but to my mind some competitions I see on video do not look much like legitimate athletic competitions. I'm thinking about those contests where there is heavy metal blaring in the background as a 300lb guy waddles out in his suit and knee supports and proceeds to dip his knees by about 5" with 1100 lbs on his back, with another bunch of 300lb goateed guys screaming and hollering their approval.
Could be. Unfortunately, 95% of meets don't resemble that at all (as I'm sure you're aware). They are lucky to have more than one 275+ lifter. But perception is greater than reality. Just look at bodybuilding. Everyone perceives the NPC to have quality, packed, competition filled events, while they generally view natural bodybuilding as...huh, people actually do that? It's a sport?

Most of the natural bodybuilding contests I've been to were jam packed, well run, 2 day events bursting from the seems with passion, professionalism and competitors. On the other hand, I've seen NPC shows with 20 competitors, poorly run, and that did nothing for the sport at all but make it look like a fringe freak show.

I think both bodybuilding and powerlifting have perception problems, but the Internet is helping to change that.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Could be. Unfortunately, 95% of meets don't resemble that at all (as I'm sure you're aware).
Yes I agree - and certainly, the meets I've attended/competed in haven't been like that. It's just that sometimes, in the attempt to make meets a bit more high-octane and entertaining, some meets - maybe only a few - end up looking ridiculous, at least to my eyes. You can't imagine a cycling or gymnastics event having that sort of feel, even at a local level.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I've definitely not a fan of the multiply, 5 inch hip sink squat meets. That does nothing for me, no disrespect meant.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #18
RobMoriRB
Max Brawn
Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

IMO, if we were aloud to do one Olympic show; they would see how much people care for it. I know we have a WPC, but its not the same to represent your country on there pay instead of taking it out of your pocket.
I believe that if the Olympics did allow Power Lifting in they should have different categories like the really meets have.(i.e Single Ply only, Double Ply Only Raw Only and ect.)
Dead Lift: 501

GYM PR
Squat: 405
Bench: 285
Dead Lift: 475

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

I thought the IPF was in the trail stages with the olympic group as a sport. I think if it is ever in, it will be raw, or at most single ply.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #20
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
I thought the IPF was in the trail stages with the olympic group as a sport. I think if it is ever in, it will be raw, or at most single ply.
I haven't heard J, they could be.

As I say the Olympics have given the nod for their name and slogan to be used for some British Strongman comps so that's a pretty strong nod in that direction too.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote