Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #21
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
I thought the IPF was in the trail stages with the olympic group as a sport. I think if it is ever in, it will be raw, or at most single ply.
I believe that occurred in 2000 but it didn't go anywhere, whether it will be put forward again is anybody's guess.

I came across a small write-up, a while ago, on a Facebook page but don't have Facebook any longer.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #22
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

If it was back in 2000 then the UK branch has undergone some pretty major changes since then (BWLA to GBPF) so that effectively severed any ties to Olympic lifting in this country and probably put things back a few years on the olympic end.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #23
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

My apologies, that was bodybuilding not powerlifting...though it's a Wiki, it gives some of the info the Facebook posting did but not half as much, there was also another fed mentioned on the Facebook page but not in this excerpt, the Facebook post indicated there had been disagreement of some sort between two official bodies...

In the early 2000s, the IFBB was attempting to make bodybuilding an Olympic sport. It obtained full IOC membership in 2000 and was attempting to get approved as a demonstration event at the Olympics which would hopefully lead to it being added as a full contest. This did not happen...

Bodybuilding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #24
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I think Strongman has a much better chance of getting into the Olympics. At least in the UK, the Olympics have already authorised their name to be used as part of a series of 'Olympic Strongman' competitions lined up for the next year. So that's a big boon for them and a very positive nod in that direction. We may even see Strongman as a guest sport in the next Olympics if this is any indication.

Bodybuilding as well is sufficiently different to warrant inclusion, in my opinion.
Strongman wont get in for one very big reason. Drug Testing. Strongman isnt tested in the states(I wish it was) at all ever. You will see a bastard/crossfit style of strongman in the games long before actual strongman was ever allowed.

The only chance powerlifting has is the usapl/ipf, that is mostly due to their fairly strong testing program.

One of the major reasons we wont see powerlifting is due to the amount of participants that division would have. Imagine 10 athletes for every weight class on the male and female side. Thats a huge influx of olympic competitors and I think 10 would be a very low number for most countries, let alone total.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #25
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post
Strongman wont get in for one very big reason. Drug Testing.
The same could have been said for Weightlifting had it started now, while I think it's a factor I don't think it's the deciding factor as you're making out here.

Like I've said already it has been given a very strong nod by the Olympics here in the UK, by authorising a series of 'Olympic Strongman' competitions. So it's at least in the beginning stages, we'll have to see how it pans out over time. The Strongman scene is large in the UK and very well represented at all levels, with some amazing athletes at the 80kg, 90kg, 105kg and open categories.

Last edited by Fazc; 08-08-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #26
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Well, one thing's for sure. We love the sport here, and we are going to do everything we can to grow it one person at a time.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #27
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post
One of the major reasons we wont see powerlifting is due to the amount of participants that division would have. Imagine 10 athletes for every weight class on the male and female side. Thats a huge influx of olympic competitors and I think 10 would be a very low number for most countries, let alone total.
If they picked 1 governing body (most likely the IPF) and used their world or even continental championships as the qualifier (like weightlifting) that would be alleviated.

As for sports that can be eliminated, I immediately nominate "equestian" as the animals are the athletes. I would also nominate the walking events.

I too would love to see strongman but agree that it would end up being the retarded crossfit hybrid that seems to be taking off in popularity if it was in. The other problem with strongman is which strongman events would they use. A 2 or 3 lift limit would have to be in place for the sake of getting any TV time, which would be pretty lame considering most silver level NAS shows have 5 events.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote