Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #31
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Well, I guess if powerlifting is defined by, "weight lifting in which lifters compete in the squat, bench press, and dead lift ", I'm just a "glorified gym rat". LOL. Guess what? I don't care. "I do what I do, because I am who I am."
Old 08-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #32
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
Well, I guess if powerlifting is defined by, "weight lifting in which lifters compete in the squat, bench press, and dead lift ", I'm just a "glorified gym rat". LOL. Guess what? I don't care. "I do what I do, because I am who I am."
Do you even lift?

Honestly to me its the getting a lift passed in a meet that is important to me. If not then I am going to claim my 2board bench as my bench

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #33
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
With regard to bodybuilding and powerlifting etc; I used to refer to myself as being a body sculptor but mostly because that was the title of the book that I was using a routine from and following the principles etc, a means to an end; I had to correct hubby no end that I was not doing bodybuilding.

I don't know if the powerlifting rules state that a person must compete in order to be considered a powerlifter, however, if they do then that really puts paid to that argument anyway.

With sports and pasttimes, labels can become complex; everybody that swims underwater without breathing equipment essentially freedives but does that give them a right to consider themselves "freedivers" in the same light as freedivers that do serious training to improve their times and/or depth etc? I train freedive techniques but don't consider myself a freediver becuase I'm not, yet anyione could rightly consider themselves a freediver as long as they have swam underwater or even just held their breath underwater...that's where the complexities arise where labels are concerned.

Some of us do olympic lifts but seldom, if ever, would consider ourselves Olympic lifters, though that easily could be argued that to qualify as an Olympic lifter you have to compete at the Olympic games which is clearly not the case due to those training but not being selected.

We also see people prepping for a possible powerlifting competition/meet, just as people that weight train may be training specifically to compete at a bodybuilding comp but not yet be aware that is their goal...again, labels cause issues, they are training but not yet competing.

Sometimes, it's better for people to think about labels before using them mostly for effect; for me, I lift weights, nothing more but some people like to say they are bodybuilding or powerlifting (in the style of that sport but not within that sport) which I suppose could be considered, albeit very slight, different to being a powerlifter or bodybuilder.

Like I said, I have no idea if there is any such thing as non-competitive powerlifting or whether it can only be competitive powerlifting...just adding my thoughts to the thread.

I hope all that makes sense
Probably the most sensible post in this thread.

I saw this thread earlier this afternoon, but for some reason I thought it was locked. So I didn't respond. It made me sad that two comrades who I love and respect (Fazc and glwanabe) got into an exchange that, quite frankly, is beneath the dignity of this forum. I won't be able to sleep tonight anyway, so I might as well jump in.

I guess I am not a powerlifter after all. I train like one. I eat like one. But I don't own a belt. Or a singlet. Or knee wraps. Or a bench shirt. My numbers aren't elite, or even respectable. I have never been judged. Everything I've done for the past 10 years is all for naught and has been nulified by one person's hot headded response to another person calling BS. I now have no reason to get my fat ass off the sofa, because no matter how much I tell myself otherwise, the fact remains; I am not a powerlifter. Even though I train like one. I have never done a meet. Even though I intend on doing a meet or multiple meets. I have never done one, so I am not a powerlifter. What's the use in me training then?

I'm not taking sides in this. I'm not jumping on Fazc. I'm not jumping on glwanabe. You guys have both been a source of inspiration for me. I admire what you guys do. I admire at how hard you work. I admire your dedication. You two both lay it on the line to the best of your abilities with the resources you have. And I guess in that respect, you two are not that much different than me.

So here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna keep on doing what I'm doing. I'm gonna keep lifting weights that for me anyway, are heavy. I'm gonna keep pushing the envelope. Because goddammit, I AM A POWERLIFTER!!!!! That's what I need to tell myself, anyway. The only thing is, I haven't done a meet yet. I don't tell anyone else I'm a powerlifter. I don't and won't boast about it. I wouldn't sully the name of the sport of powerlifting by claiming to be a powerlifter, at least not publicly. But I need to convince myself that I AM sometimes to get me off my fat ass and into the gym.

Folks, sometimes when you smell BS, it is best to call BS in your heart and then walk away without saying anything. And if you see someone who (in your estimation) is being foolish, then don't answer him according to his folly. At least not publicly. You can't win those arguments. I think that's Bible. Probably a PM would have a better way to handle things.

I hope you two gentlemen can get over it. I need you both.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)

Last edited by big valsalva; 08-05-2012 at 11:27 PM.
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #34
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

After skimming thru this thread...I won't sleep tonight!!!! Fazc and Glw, both of whom I follow their logs...were engaged in verbal combat! Time out fellas and let's regroup. Let's just SFW and kill some buffets

Silverback Barbell
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:47 AM   #35
RobMoriRB
Max Brawn
Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Yeah Kuyt I meant people calling themselves powerlifters and not competing. It's like saying you're a bodybuilder but never dieting and getting on stage.

LtL
I thought we were all body builder ...we diet with high fats we lift volume for assistance work...lmao
Dead Lift: 501

GYM PR
Squat: 405
Bench: 285
Dead Lift: 475

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:54 AM   #36
RobMoriRB
Max Brawn
Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

one thing is for sure I know at this moment I am not a Powerlifter, but in the next 6 months i will compete in a meet to change that.....like everyone says, I have Gym Lift Records; and I know when I compete I will have to drop some weight off the bar for the meet to start and work the wrinkles out
Dead Lift: 501

GYM PR
Squat: 405
Bench: 285
Dead Lift: 475

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:26 AM   #37
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Trying to get a laugh by picking on my grammar? Go **** yourself.
For a guy who talks tough, you do seem to have sensitive feelings. If you're so tough, surely you can take a little gentle mockery in text on a forum?

You ignored the part about the camaraderie of the sport. Perhaps it's not important to you. Okay, we'll call you a Powerlifter from now on. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:29 AM   #38
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

i'm not a bodybuilder or a powerlifter and i train at home ,i'm just interested in developing my size and strength through progressive Resistance training using weights as my tool and i look in to the sports of bodybuilding and powerliting as resources,we all just happen to use the same tools.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #39
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
For a guy who talks tough, you do seem to have sensitive feelings. If you're so tough, surely you can take a little gentle mockery in text on a forum?
Your first post comes into a heated debate throwing digs at me for my grammar, so yeah I was already pissed off and that made me more so.

And this next post is more of the same mockery. Go **** yourself you piece of shit. It's a good thing you're not in the UK you worthless ****.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #40
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
I'm not taking sides in this. I'm not jumping on Fazc. I'm not jumping on glwanabe. You guys have both been a source of inspiration for me. I admire what you guys do. I admire at how hard you work. I admire your dedication. You two both lay it on the line to the best of your abilities with the resources you have. And I guess in that respect, you two are not that much different than me.
Like I've been saying all along, I fully support and encourage anyone who lifts and people on this forum know that already.

GL's first reply was a put-down to people who actually compete. There was NO NEED for that. That's what I was responding to, there was NO NEED for that bitchy post, NO NEED for him to start up his usual BS in a thread which was about competition. NO NEED for him to start saying it's all the same when it clearly is not and he has no clue what he's talking about. Then on top of that he's mocking, squirming it's pathetic.

People can do whatever they like, I've NEVER had anything bad to say about people who are into bodybuilding or powerlifting, or people who take steroids or don't or any choices people make. I've always said people make their own choices and that is how I live my life, I don't judge. They live their lives and I live mine, if I can help them out I do. Every regular on this forum knows my contribution here. So when I see someone who IS talking shit about a particular sport, in this case powerlifting, MY sport, MY accomplishments then I do respond. There's NO NEED for that shit here.

Last edited by Fazc; 08-06-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote