Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Why strongman training is NOT for athletes (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10768)

Mr.Silverback 08-03-2012 04:27 PM

Why strongman training is NOT for athletes

Ran across this...enjoy

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/...-for-athletes/

Silverback Barbell

bruteforce 08-03-2012 06:31 PM

Strongman Training and Why It?s NOT for Athletes Juggernaut Training Systems

Fixed the link for ya SB

BendtheBar 08-03-2012 07:33 PM

Clif's for discussion?

5kgLifter 08-03-2012 07:35 PM

It's true that exercises for athletes have to be selected carefully so that they don't compromise speed and form on the actual skill they're supposed to be enhancing, so I see the point of the article...it just comes down to knowing the sport/skills intimately and which exercises to avoid as opposed to just doing any exercise that is strength related which may be the case with the inexperienced person and/or coach.

IronManlet 08-03-2012 10:46 PM

While I understand the underlying points of the article, and agree with a few of them, this:

"The mechanics of overhead pressing stresses the anterior and inferior glenohumeral capsule. Adding load creates an increase in stress to these structures creating laxity and functional instability which can lead to impingement and improper utilization of the rotator cuff musculature required for dynamic stabilization through an overhead movement." Maybe Lochte is unique in his ability to tolerate overhead pressing without aggravating his shoulders but in this way he would be the exception, not the rule and this (overhead pressing) is not a model to be followed by other swimmers, overhead throwing athletes or people such as fighters or football lineman whose shoulders undergo great stress.

Is pure horseshit.

PowerBuilder500 08-05-2012 04:14 AM

^^^^^ Seconded

He might be able to put together a loose rationalization of it, but he knows its garbage. He's trying to brand himself by saying incredible, stupid things. He gets a lot more attention by saying "athletes shouldn't do olympic lifts" than if he just listed another generic, but true, piece of commentary on athletic training.

JacktheThriller 08-05-2012 09:32 AM

Exactly he has forced himself into a position. Powerlifting + Athletes=Bad And now he cant credit any powerlifting to benefit sport which is madness.

bruteforce 08-05-2012 10:52 AM

I agree that the writer is a little overzealous to make a name for himself by saying extreme things. The idea that a lineman needs no shoulder work because of the drills he is doing is ludicrous, but it might be a good idea to limit shoulder work during the season to avoid over working them to the point of danger.

Lets step back and look at it from a different angle. What benefit would athletes get from training like a Strongman?

jwood 08-05-2012 11:35 AM

I found this article very interesting. There are many different points to go over. I think the first one would be that Chad himself did a lot of Olympic lifts while he was doing track. I am pretty sure I have seen videos of his athletes doing strongman and olympic lifts.

My next point is that 2 of the most famous trainers right now, Joe DeFranco and Zach Evan Esh are training their athletes using a ton of strongman type stuff. These two guys are producing some of the best results around in their athletes.

Strongman builds overall strength and mental toughness. You can push your body to the limits, and that is helpful to any athlete. In my opinion.

IronManlet 08-05-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 265605)
I agree that the writer is a little overzealous to make a name for himself by saying extreme things. The idea that a lineman needs no shoulder work because of the drills he is doing is ludicrous, but it might be a good idea to limit shoulder work during the season to avoid over working them to the point of danger.

Lets step back and look at it from a different angle. What benefit would athletes get from training like a Strongman?

Training exactly like a Strongman would perhaps be ill-advised - simply because more time in-season would need to be spent practicing the actual sport. However, there are quite a few things such as sandbag work, grip work, loaded carries, etc that could be useful I think.