Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast
Default Deadlift & Rib Pain

Was pulling off some blocks today beltless and barely locked the first pull out before a very sharp pain and what felt like a pop in my left ribs, was agony. Pain is getting worse right now.

Anyone experienced this, have any idea what it might be or any suggestions for some relief? Would be greatly appreciated, I'm thinking its going to be a struggle getting up tomorrow and likely a trip to the docs .
Old 07-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I noticed the other day that you wear your belt REALLY high. Maybe you bruised something intercostal...

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I've had that happen on my knee before. Hopefully it was just stuff moving around stuff that wasn't supposed to move around stuff, and that stuff is ok.

Let us know how it feels today.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Last time I did partials I also found some torso pain, mostly centered around the ribs. I just put it down to my supporting strength. Since then I've been doing a tonne of ab and lower back specific work (GMs/RDLs). Yesterday when I did the same style of partials again the limiting factor wasn't the torso.

I'm guessing ab and specific lower back work isn't a big part of your programme?
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
JTurner
Max Brawn

JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
I noticed the other day that you wear your belt REALLY high. Maybe you bruised something intercostal...

LtL
Good shout, moved belt position up a month ago, definitely puts some pressure on the ribs. Need to move it down a couple inches off the ribs and put up with the belly nip I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I've had that happen on my knee before. Hopefully it was just stuff moving around stuff that wasn't supposed to move around stuff, and that stuff is ok.

Let us know how it feels today.
Painful today, can feel it constantly and anything that puts pressure on my torso especially bracing to pick something up or just pressing on the ribs is really painful. Some bruising coming through it looks like too. Will see how far I can go with benching but I think it will be light and going through the motions if anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Last time I did partials I also found some torso pain, mostly centered around the ribs. I just put it down to my supporting strength. Since then I've been doing a tonne of ab and lower back specific work (GMs/RDLs). Yesterday when I did the same style of partials again the limiting factor wasn't the torso.

I'm guessing ab and specific lower back work isn't a big part of your programme?
Always get some abs in on lower days but dropped side bends in the last couple months which I've always thought have helped (laziness with spinlocks in garage). As for lower back, ye you're right there, very little specific work. Think I'll drop the partials for now and run some strict RDL's.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
Always get some abs in on lower days but dropped side bends in the last couple months which I've always thought have helped (laziness with spinlocks in garage). As for lower back, ye you're right there, very little specific work. Think I'll drop the partials for now and run some strict RDL's.
But what does 'some abs' mean?

I think this is where you'll benefit from having some planned variety in your routine, rotate GMs, RDLs, Partial Deads, Front Squats from time to time. Your previous Partial Dead session had you at 10 RPE and doing that week in week out may well contribute to problems.

I have never felt as good as I currently do, because I rotate stuff so much.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

When I pull off of blocks, I have to space my hands out about an inch farther than pulling from the ground. I smash my elbows into my ribs if I dont for some reason.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
JTurner
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
But what does 'some abs' mean?

I think this is where you'll benefit from having some planned variety in your routine, rotate GMs, RDLs, Partial Deads, Front Squats from time to time. Your previous Partial Dead session had you at 10 RPE and doing that week in week out may well contribute to problems.

I have never felt as good as I currently do, because I rotate stuff so much.
Usually 3-5 sets of banded abs, ab wheel or weighted decline sit-ups but again, what does usually mean ha, I'll get on that.

Rotating variations is something I've been building up to. I thought I'd stick with some through blocks until I'm confident enough to be able to rotate more often. Certainly like the look of your training recently and want to build towards that.

Managed to bench ok just now, only pain really was getting down to the bench and getting up again, took it easy and didn't push for anything. I seem to be fine flexing my thoracic/arching but anything that starts do the opposite and compress my torso causes a lot of pain. Also anything like sneezing or coughing, that really hurts.

I think LtL was right, my belt has been really high and irritated my ribs on the squats and then the heavy pulls finished something off. Also need to get strict on the supporting work.