Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Deadlift & Rib Pain (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10744)

JTurner 07-30-2012 02:49 PM

Deadlift & Rib Pain

Was pulling off some blocks today beltless and barely locked the first pull out before a very sharp pain and what felt like a pop in my left ribs, was agony. Pain is getting worse right now.

Anyone experienced this, have any idea what it might be or any suggestions for some relief? Would be greatly appreciated, I'm thinking its going to be a struggle getting up tomorrow and likely a trip to the docs :mad:.

LtL 07-30-2012 05:06 PM

I noticed the other day that you wear your belt REALLY high. Maybe you bruised something intercostal...

LtL

BendtheBar 07-30-2012 08:26 PM

I've had that happen on my knee before. Hopefully it was just stuff moving around stuff that wasn't supposed to move around stuff, and that stuff is ok.

Let us know how it feels today.

Fazc 07-31-2012 07:44 AM

Last time I did partials I also found some torso pain, mostly centered around the ribs. I just put it down to my supporting strength. Since then I've been doing a tonne of ab and lower back specific work (GMs/RDLs). Yesterday when I did the same style of partials again the limiting factor wasn't the torso.

I'm guessing ab and specific lower back work isn't a big part of your programme?

JTurner 07-31-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 263958)
I noticed the other day that you wear your belt REALLY high. Maybe you bruised something intercostal...

LtL

Good shout, moved belt position up a month ago, definitely puts some pressure on the ribs. Need to move it down a couple inches off the ribs and put up with the belly nip I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 264022)
I've had that happen on my knee before. Hopefully it was just stuff moving around stuff that wasn't supposed to move around stuff, and that stuff is ok.

Let us know how it feels today.

Painful today, can feel it constantly and anything that puts pressure on my torso especially bracing to pick something up or just pressing on the ribs is really painful. Some bruising coming through it looks like too. Will see how far I can go with benching but I think it will be light and going through the motions if anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 264095)
Last time I did partials I also found some torso pain, mostly centered around the ribs. I just put it down to my supporting strength. Since then I've been doing a tonne of ab and lower back specific work (GMs/RDLs). Yesterday when I did the same style of partials again the limiting factor wasn't the torso.

I'm guessing ab and specific lower back work isn't a big part of your programme?

Always get some abs in on lower days but dropped side bends in the last couple months which I've always thought have helped (laziness with spinlocks in garage). As for lower back, ye you're right there, very little specific work. Think I'll drop the partials for now and run some strict RDL's.

Fazc 07-31-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTurner (Post 264102)
Always get some abs in on lower days but dropped side bends in the last couple months which I've always thought have helped (laziness with spinlocks in garage). As for lower back, ye you're right there, very little specific work. Think I'll drop the partials for now and run some strict RDL's.

But what does 'some abs' mean? :)

I think this is where you'll benefit from having some planned variety in your routine, rotate GMs, RDLs, Partial Deads, Front Squats from time to time. Your previous Partial Dead session had you at 10 RPE and doing that week in week out may well contribute to problems.

I have never felt as good as I currently do, because I rotate stuff so much.

austin.j.taylor 07-31-2012 10:25 AM

When I pull off of blocks, I have to space my hands out about an inch farther than pulling from the ground. I smash my elbows into my ribs if I dont for some reason.

JTurner 07-31-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 264114)
But what does 'some abs' mean? :)

I think this is where you'll benefit from having some planned variety in your routine, rotate GMs, RDLs, Partial Deads, Front Squats from time to time. Your previous Partial Dead session had you at 10 RPE and doing that week in week out may well contribute to problems.

I have never felt as good as I currently do, because I rotate stuff so much.

Usually 3-5 sets of banded abs, ab wheel or weighted decline sit-ups but again, what does usually mean ha, I'll get on that.

Rotating variations is something I've been building up to. I thought I'd stick with some through blocks until I'm confident enough to be able to rotate more often. Certainly like the look of your training recently and want to build towards that.

Managed to bench ok just now, only pain really was getting down to the bench and getting up again, took it easy and didn't push for anything. I seem to be fine flexing my thoracic/arching but anything that starts do the opposite and compress my torso causes a lot of pain. Also anything like sneezing or coughing, that really hurts.

I think LtL was right, my belt has been really high and irritated my ribs on the squats and then the heavy pulls finished something off. Also need to get strict on the supporting work.