Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member
Default Blocks or rack

When it comes to pulling, which do you prefer or feel has the most carryover? Personally,I do both being a raw lifter I feel that both produce the confidence to hold heavy weights in hand as well.

Here's where I have found the difference, since I pull sumo I can get into position easier when pulling off blocks. Because my rack doesn't allow me to completely utilize form so I modify it a bit. My rack pulls are usually conventional or modified sumo. however, pulling from blocks allows full form. So what are you guys thoughts on this? Can't wait to read all of you guys thoughts on this!

Silverback Barbell
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I like both but blocks feel more like a pull from the floor (probably psychological). Also, I've read that pulling heavy from pins can bend your bar.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

i pull in conv. stance so the rack is not an issue for me to stand in so my normal form is utilized. if i could not perform in that manner i think i would switch to an exercise that i could. one downfall i feel to the rack though is that the spotting pins tend to bounce the weight a little if you set it down too fast and at a quiet gym tend to clang rather loud. blocks are much quieter but also are not found at many gyms so could limit some to goin that route. personal preference with all said.........blocks.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Blocks if you have them big enough and on a flat surface. I've lost the bar off blocks way too many times, especially during rep sets. If the blocks are not completely level, or you're using smaller blocks, things can get hairy. My basement isn't perfectly level, so this probably isn't an issue for most of you.

I keep a layer of carpeting on the top block to help stay away from roll.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Excellent point. I do the same thing.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Blocks if you have them big enough and on a flat surface. I've lost the bar off blocks way too many times, especially during rep sets. If the blocks are not completely level, or you're using smaller blocks, things can get hairy. My basement isn't perfectly level, so this probably isn't an issue for most of you.

Couldn't you slightly hollow out wooden blocks, that would stop some roll by letting the plates rest in a curve.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Off Road
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Couldn't you slightly hollow out wooden blocks, that would stop some roll by letting the plates rest in a curve.
But they might roll into the curve and throw off your form on reps. Just thinking out load, I've never tried it.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
But they might roll into the curve and throw off your form on reps. Just thinking out load, I've never tried it.
Where the base sits solidly and snugly in the curve, I mean; the sort of things the Oly lifters use when using blocks, sometimes...can't seem to find any pics other than the flat top blocks but have seen them.

See 46 seconds in (also seen on the still at the start), pause and look behind and to the left of the lifter, that style curve:

Last edited by 5kgLifter; 07-27-2012 at 11:41 AM.
5kgLifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The issue with a curve is that when you're unloading a heavy weight, a slight roll like that could cause a lower back/whatever tweak. I've let my wife and daughters pull with the weights inside a step base, the purple part below, but the bar rolls on them every rep because they never lower it perfectly.

I think that idea could work with a very wide block and slight curve. I was thinking of building a slight pseudo-curve by using stepped layers of carpeting.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

I edited my post above, to show what I meant.