Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Push press or strict press (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10604)

Mr.Silverback 07-17-2012 12:07 PM

Push press or strict press

Which one you feel is better for building shoulder strength? Why?

Silverback Barbell

Off Road 07-17-2012 12:12 PM

Might sound like a copout, but I like both.
Strict press works the full range and builds strength off the chest or collar bone.
Push press gives you overload and allows you to handle bigger weights.
I guess spending time with both would be best...

BendtheBar 07-17-2012 12:15 PM

I don't know which is better, but I do know that if I had to do it all over again I would train both, perhaps alternating each week.

Rich Knapp 07-17-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 260091)
Might sound like a copout, but I like both.
Strict press works the full range and builds strength off the chest or collar bone.
Push press gives you overload and allows you to handle bigger weights.
I guess spending time with both would be best...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 260093)
I don't know which is better, but I do know that if I had to do it all over again I would train both, perhaps alternating each week.

I agree. I have found push presses build "out of hole" power and strict build over all. Thats for me. Don't know how much is the lifts and how much is the way I do them.

Edit: I was thinking Hammer Stength, machine Push Presses or Pin Presses. Sorry.

big_swede 07-17-2012 12:48 PM

One for speed, one for power. I do them both. The PP is great for gaining confidence in putting weights overhead and for all over explosiveness. Strict press gives on massive and strong shoulders and a strong upper body. My 2 cents.

5kgLifter 07-17-2012 01:17 PM

I really feel that the push press helps build the strength for the strict press; give it a go and see how it pans out, see if your strict press goes up.

austin.j.taylor 07-17-2012 01:28 PM

I do both, hitting each on a specific day. I feel they are directly related to each other and training one makes the other stronger. If I was to do them both on the same day, I would use one as a primary, the other for assistance, and rotate weekly.

miked96 07-17-2012 02:37 PM

I would train both but for strictly building shoulder strength I would say strict military. Its more of a pure shoulder strength exercise. Strict military is pure shoulder and triceps.
The push press relies heavily on front squat or leg strength to get that bar moving. If you get a good push or drive it will carry you through the range of motion where the shoulders work the hardest. Thats why Glenn Pendlay's number one advice on the push press is to get your squat and front squat up.

Bodybygamma 07-17-2012 02:45 PM

BOTH. In the same day. Strict Presses first, then just keep going with push preses when your tired. Works better since you want you push presses to be closer to jerks and if you arms are tired you are less likely to muscle the weight up and figure how to use leg drive.

Kuytrider 07-17-2012 04:06 PM

Did push presses but my strict press was weak so I did that for Madcow. Now, I have added a cheeky extra session and add in push presses.