Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Need help designing a workout (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10597)

austin.j.taylor 07-16-2012 07:15 PM

Need help designing a workout

So my mother in law and wife jjust asked me to write up a workout routine for them. They are both completely new to strength training and want something they can do at home, with minimal access to weights. Here is what I am thinking so far:

Day 1:
Squats 3X10
Press 3X5
1 arm rows 3X8
Thrusters 2X10
Planks 3Xfailure
Pushups to fail 3 times

Day 2:
Stiff leg deadlifts 3X10
Axle press: 3X5
Situps 3X fail
Walking lunges 3X10 steps each leg
BB Rows 2X10

Here is what I have to utilize for this program:
Axle
12inch Log
Barbell
1 plate loaded DB handle
About 500 lbs in plates
A set of squat stands.

What I would like suggestions on: I want to keep it simple as an A and B workout with them both being full body types of workouts.

BendtheBar 07-17-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor (Post 259885)
What I would like suggestions on: I want to keep it simple as an A and B workout with them both being full body types of workouts.

That's pretty close to what I have my wife and daughter do. They use an AB, 2-a-week schedule.

I stick with 10 reps on everything, but find barbell presses to be the most challenging with that rep range, so I could see slightly lower reps depending on the woman and her strength. My daughter can't do much more than 5 reps with a bar, so we stick with 5 rep sets.

I also use rack pulls from below the knee, but SLDL certainly works too.

For squats, both my gals are a bit shaky with depth yet yet, so I have them do primarily box squats. They do much better with depth when they train with a box, so it's primarily a confidence tool. Mileage may vary on this.

Off Road 07-17-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 260008)
They do much better with depth when they train with a box, so it's primarily a confidence tool. Mileage may vary on this.

I'm the same way. I use the box so I don't cheat the depth as the weight gets heavier. But that's off-topic, so...

Off Road 07-17-2012 09:37 AM

To add to what BtB said, I think it's easier to start them with body squats and get the form down. From there they can move on to goblet squats and get used to using some weight while still working on form and improving balance. Then work them into barbell squats. Just my 2 cents...

austin.j.taylor 07-17-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 260055)
To add to what BtB said, I think it's easier to start them with body squats and get the form down. From there they can move on to goblet squats and get used to using some weight while still working on form and improving balance. Then work them into barbell squats. Just my 2 cents...

This is absolutely my plan. My wife can squat decent with a BB, but she still needs some work.