Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Slingshot v Ram/Super Ram (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10585)

5kgLifter 07-15-2012 06:37 PM

Slingshot v Ram/Super Ram

For those that use them...what do you think of them and if you've had the opportunity to use all 3, what do you think of the pros and cons of each?

Discuss...

J_Byrd 07-15-2012 06:53 PM

I use the super ram. I stayed away from the slingshot because I didnt like the way it wasnt on the chest during the entire lift. BTB uses slingshot, hopefully he drops in. He has had good success with it.

gaspers04 07-16-2012 05:28 AM

Super Ram

Fazc 07-16-2012 05:30 AM

Only ever used the Slingshot, I love it. It's one of the best tools for training and I've had considerable success using it since last September.

LtL 07-16-2012 05:55 AM

I have the Slingshot. I chose it because Mark Bell gives a lot to powerlifting for free and I didn't like him getting ripped off by the other companies. Luckily it also works really well: easy to master, easy to put on, good fun and good overload capability. I get around 10-15% out of mine over my raw pressing. The Slingshot is also helping Hazzard come back from a shoulder injury and continue pressing.

LtL

Ryano 07-16-2012 06:31 AM

Super Ram is made of much better material than a slingshot. It also fits me better in the manner that JB discribed. Both will help with shoulder rehab and lockout overload. The amount of support varies with the size you buy. The tighter the fit, the more support.

BendtheBar 07-16-2012 10:40 AM

As a straight raw lifter, I love my Slingshot. It gives me about 30-40 pounds of boost (about 10%ish), which is plenty of overload. It has held up well over the first year, only feeling like it has lost a hair of it's elasticity.

I think for raw lifters, it's a good choice. The Super Ram (I assume) provides more overload capabilities, and support throughout a greater range of motion.

I like having the support more at the bottom. I am strong the first three inches off the chest, as I think most raw lifters are.

Anyway, just random thoughts. I'm not sure there are any cons to either. The Ram is better quality, but more expensive. The Slingshot is still a great product.

I will say that I believe every serious trainee should own one or the other, and use it at minimum when they experience a shoulder issue or strain. The Slingshot and Ram really do make a huge difference, and save the shoulders quite a bit. I will never train without one again.

J_Byrd 07-16-2012 10:52 AM

Something else to keep in mind is that the slingshot comes in various models as well. Depending on your training and strength goals.

Fazc 07-16-2012 11:29 AM

Yeah exactly J.

I think the Super Ram is more comparable to the Maddog Slingshot. The Ram more comparable to the Slingshot and then you have the Reactive Slingshot for even less support.

J_Byrd 07-16-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 259693)
Yeah exactly J.

I think the Super Ram is more comparable to the Maddog Slingshot. The Ram more comparable to the Slingshot and then you have the Reactive Slingshot for even less support.

You or anyone else tried to maddog? Just wondering if it compares to the super ram in what weight it takes to touch. I have no trouble bringing the bar down with the super ram