Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast
Default The JM Press

Today I decided to do something new after my normal overhead pressing. My triceps are underdeveloped and certainly could be stronger... So I watched and EliteFTS video of Dave Tate doing JM Presses before I went and decided to give it a shot. I was a bit weary at first because of its similarities to skullcrushers(what I believe I initially hurt my elbow on a while a back), but good lord, am I glad I decided to do it. Never before have I felt my triceps working so much. Never before have I got such a pump in my arms. After was all was lifted and done, I decided to do some dumbell pressing just to finish off press and I had a hard time doing 4 reps with the 45 lb dumbells when it came to pressing. My triceps were dead. I was happy about that actually. I think I have finally found the "secret" to actually getting them stronger so my bench might move up 5-10 pounds.

I'm excited and felt like sharing this. For what it's worth, I only had to use 95 lbs for 4 sets of 8-10 reps, sometimes having to reset my grip, to get such contraction in my triceps. I really believe this is something that might help me out immensely. (Now to stop killing the deadlift volume so I'll be fresh for squat days...)
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
thumpinos
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

thumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good posts

Thanks for sharing. Skullcrushers hurt my elbows. Going to try JM's next time. How much weight did you start with to test them out?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Yeah, JM presses are great.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpinos View Post
Thanks for sharing. Skullcrushers hurt my elbows. Going to try JM's next time. How much weight did you start with to test them out?
I started with the bar and then went straight to 95 lbs after getting the feel of the movement. My triceps are weak as hell(shoot, my whole body is...I'll probably think that when I deadlift 1,000) so I doubt that weight is very impressive. Then again, as long as it gets my triceps up to par and helps out my bench, I don't think starting at a low weight is embarrassing at all.

As with any movement or exercise, just make sure the majority of the load is where it needs to be. On dips, it's all chest. On the bench press or overhead, it's a bit of triceps. On this though, it was almost all triceps with a bit I could feel on my chest. I've never received so much stimulation. Definitely give them a try. I can't wait to do them again on my bench day.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
YoRR
Brawn
Points: 557, Level: 11 Points: 557, Level: 11 Points: 557, Level: 11
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: HIT
Fav Exercise: Military Press
YoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good posts

JM press is great

dave tate on JM press:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2ElVaNFltQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWb3ptFXEAI
YoRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Love me some JMs! Dont do much triceps work, but when I do, its JMs and pushdowns.