Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   High Reps for Power (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10547)

BendtheBar 07-11-2012 06:46 PM

High Reps for Power

strengthseeker 07-11-2012 10:28 PM

Thanks that's what i needed to hear after my coach gave me 20 rep sets on my assistance exercises

Fazc 07-12-2012 02:36 AM

Been saying it all along! Good stuff.

IronManlet 07-12-2012 02:47 AM

I can get the value of 5-10 rep sets for some people; not everyone does well with the same rep scheme. But 20 reps just seems excessive to me.

emekajokammor 07-12-2012 08:23 AM

I believe you have to find out what your body reponds best to. I spent most of my life training heavy pyramid style but for the past 3 years i've been focusing on volume training and my strength has grown to scary levels. I can't believe how strong i have become somedays.

I often don't even count reps. I push until i get that "feeling" and then i push a little more.

100 reps leg press
20 - 30 rep deads
50 rep leg ext
25 rep shoulder press
etc...

:biglifter:

Rich Knapp 07-12-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emekajokammor (Post 258603)
I believe you have to find out what your body reponds best to.

I'm with you on this em.

If we were all the same there wouldn't be any competitions because they would always end in a tie.

TitanCT 07-12-2012 09:32 AM

all my rear delt and calf workouts are high rep and sometimes hit 5-6 sets.

for example. did 5 sets of 25 on rear delt bent over cable flyes.

Rich Knapp 07-12-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanCT (Post 258640)
all my rear delt and calf workouts are high rep and sometimes hit 5-6 sets.

for example. did 5 sets of 25 on rear delt bent over cable flyes.

I have also found out after almost 10 years of pushing power low reps on my Tri's,Rear delts and Traps they react better with high reps (some times as high as 60 total reps threw a jumbo set) while my back and chest likes the pyramid up into 1 rep then ending in 1 low weight, high rep set.

Learning threw logs, tracking pics and trial and error.

Majority of trainers your just a number and pay check. Its NOT like the old days were training a person and there results, reflected on there reputation and credibility. Now days its to easy to just say "They didn't follow my plan out side the gym." this may be true a good % of the time but not always the case. Not every trainer on paper, web, magazines is a good trainer in the real world.

:rockon: TitanCT great thread.

erictbrown1 05-03-2013 11:49 AM

High reps with med weight can do wonders.

SecondsOut 05-03-2013 12:00 PM

he said he's been training the same weight for the same reps for a while and is still making gains. i've heard others say the same thing. an old time powerlifter wrote an article years back on Dragon Door about that, how he very rarely added weight to his workouts but still got stronger.