Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Started at a powerlifting gym, question on my coaches routine (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10523)

strengthseeker 07-09-2012 06:25 PM

Started at a powerlifting gym, question on my coaches routine

So i started my powerlifting journey last week. I like the gym, prowlers, monolifts, platforms, bumper plates, the works. Im an intermediate lifter that finished starting strength, madcow and texas method. So he gave me my routine for chest and for the assistance exercises its has alot of volume (to me).

Like 18 reps for dumbell presses, 15 reps for dumbell rows and like 50 reps for tricep push downs. Mind you ive never really gone past 5 reps with my previous programs so to me it seems like muscle endurance, not strength.

Is this how its done? High volume for powerlifting? I thought strength was done in the lower rep ranges. Or am i just being a total pussy?

gaspers04 07-09-2012 06:30 PM

Looks like cardio to me

J_Byrd 07-09-2012 06:36 PM

I am no expert at this by any means, but often we I start working with someone I give them a lot of higher reps. He is probably just testing out your overall strength. I am sure if you ask him about the program he will explain it for you.

JacktheThriller 07-09-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strengthseeker (Post 257903)
so i started my powerlifting journey last week. I like the gym, prowlers, monolifts, platforms, bumper plates, the works.

i hate you!

Off Road 07-09-2012 06:55 PM

I see a lot of the BIG Westside powerlifters on my other forum doing a lot of high rep assistance stuff.

BendtheBar 07-09-2012 06:57 PM

I love high rep rows and overhead dumbbell presses. That can have it's place in assistance work.

Off Road 07-09-2012 07:22 PM

As an example, one of the Westside guys bench assistance days...

DE Bench
8 sets of 3 reps

Close Grip Bench
3 sets of 15 reps

Tate Press
5 sets of 15 reps

Rope Pushdowns
5 sets of 20 reps

Face Pulls
4 sets of 15 reps

DB Rows
4 sets of 15 reps

strengthseeker 07-09-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 257947)
As an example, one of the Westside guys bench assistance days...

DE Bench
8 sets of 3 reps

Close Grip Bench
3 sets of 15 reps

Tate Press
5 sets of 15 reps

Rope Pushdowns
5 sets of 20 reps

Face Pulls
4 sets of 15 reps

DB Rows
4 sets of 15 reps

Wow yeah thats very similar to what he gave me. Excuse my ignorance, but what is the reasoning for the high volume? How does it aid in maximal strength? Also how is dumbell rows and pull ups beneficial on a chest day? It just seems all over the place. Again, excuse my ignorance.

J_Byrd 07-09-2012 09:10 PM

you control the bench with the lats, he is helping you get some more lat strength. Reason for higher reps is to add volume increase overall strength and to just plain put a butt kicking on you! :D ENJOY

Off Road 07-09-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strengthseeker (Post 257967)
Wow yeah thats very similar to what he gave me. Excuse my ignorance, but what is the reasoning for the high volume? How does it aid in maximal strength? Also how is dumbell rows and pull ups beneficial on a chest day? It just seems all over the place. Again, excuse my ignorance.

Let me start off by saying, "That isn't anything I'd do."

But, they do high volume work to put on extra size, strength and build work capacity. It's really not that different than Wendler's recomendations, just more of it. If I was a natural, I'd lean more towards Wendler's recomendations, but that's a different topic.

They include (as you should) a lot of upper back work for stability in the bench press. They don't do bodypart splits so they don't really have a back day to put them on. Since they are a bench press assistance lift, that's the day they do them.