Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Strength Routine for a Friend of Mine (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10508)

bruteforce 07-08-2012 11:17 AM

Strength Routine for a Friend of Mine

A close friend of mine is looking to begin strength training. He's looking for a 2x a week lifting routine at first, maybe going into more as time moves on. The good news is he'll have his PhD in mathematics in under a year, so numbers and percentages won't scare him later on.

Basics:
Height: 6'1"ish
Weight: ~ 135 pounds

Goal: Get stronger and in better shape. He's not looking to get huge, doesn't care about working arms particularly, not looking to powerlift or be a runner. Just stronger so that he doesn't end up like the old men in the math department, shuffling around, hunched over by the time they are 60.

Jen 07-08-2012 11:30 AM

I think a basic 5X5 is a great place to start. I am probably biased, though ;). Look at my first entries in my log, most of the time I was working with just the bar. He could gain alot of strength in a short period of time.

Jen 07-08-2012 11:40 AM

One more thing -- the other reason I liked it was because it was just 3 days a week, which is managable without being overwhelming for a beginner -- and it gave enough rest days to recover.

Off Road 07-08-2012 11:45 AM

2 days a week...John Christy routine!!!

BendtheBar 07-08-2012 01:58 PM

I'm on board with Off Road here. I think the Christy is perfect for him.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/app...on-thread.html

Workout A (performed for instance on Monday)

1. Sit-ups

2. Squat

3. Stiff leg deadlift

4. Bench press

5. Dumbbell rowing

6. Barbell static grip

Workout B (performed on Thursday)

1. Sidebends

2. Deadlifts (Bent-legged)

3. Military press

4. Barbell curls

5. Close-grip bench press

6. Standing calf raise

He could do it ramped 5x5 style if he wanted too. :)

Fazc 07-08-2012 02:03 PM

I'd go more with Jen on this one but I'd probably run the reps a little higher than a strict 5x5, I think if he's just starting out he needs to be doing the lifts more than once a week to learn them. My suggestion:

Workout A -

Squat - 3x10
Bench - 3x10
Deadlift - 1x10
Press - 3x10
Row (Chin if strong enough) - 3x10

Workout B -

Squat - 3x10
Bench - 3x10
Deadlift - 1x10
Press - 3x10
Row (Chin if strong enough) - 3x10

Perfect form first, add weight later. A few months of this getting to the point where he has learned decent form and has added at least some weight to the bar would prime him for a reduced frequency routine like the Christy one.

BendtheBar 07-08-2012 02:11 PM

Yeah what Fazc said. Reps above 5 are probably best, for at least for the several months.

BendtheBar 07-08-2012 02:13 PM

Also have my novice quick start that may be of interest:

8 Week Novice Quick Start Workout Plan | Muscle & Strength

Fazc 07-08-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 257603)
Also have my novice quick start that may be of interest:

8 Week Novice Quick Start Workout Plan | Muscle & Strength

That looks really good.

BigJosh 07-08-2012 03:32 PM

I think a simple A/B is the way to go.
Something like Starting strength might be right up his alley. Getting stronger on the big lifts.

This is an A/B workout that I did that I really enjoyed:
A
Deadlift 3x3
OHP 3x6
T-bar rows 3x8
db incline bench 3x8
db curls 3x8
Decline bench crunches bwx3

B
Squats 3x5
Bench Press 3x6
DB Rows 3x8
Db lateral raises 3x8
CGBP 3x8
Rev. Pec deckx3

I really enjoyed this routine. It is very similar to a John Christy style routine. I did it 3 times a week, but it would be just as suited for a twice a week routine. And, rep ranges can be changed where desired. That won't make a break the routine.