Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn
Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast
Default Power Training for the Chest?

Hey guys, I was going through a book I purchased a while back by Arnold Schwarzenegger; The New Encyclopeda of Modern Bodybuilding and noticed a small section he talks about powerlifting with the bench and was wondering if you guys think this would work.

Quote:
Power Training

"To develop maximum power, mass, and strength in the chest, I recommend a program in which you:"

1. Begin with Bench Presses. Do 20 reps the first set, then 10 reps. At this point, raise the weight so you go immediately down to 5 reps, 3 reps and 1 rep.

2. Continue doing as many sets as you can (at least 5) with a weigh that only allows you 1 or 2 repetitions.

3. Perform the last set with a lighter weight that allows you to go back up to high repetitions.

4. Go on to Incline Presses and do them the same way. Afterward, follow the same program with Dumbbell Flys.
A little about me; I only been in the gym a little over a month now. I'm doing a starting strength program but, I want to improve my bench (been stuck at the same weight). Was curious if this was something that could help me or if that program would be too much for me at my level.
WilldBill88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Traphouse86
Max Brawn
Points: 6,569, Level: 53 Points: 6,569, Level: 53 Points: 6,569, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion!
Training Exp: 6 Years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Muscle Milk & Xtend
Traphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributor

I would not look to change things up so soon, keep doing what your doing . Would like more info though age/weight etc...

"I donít believe that anyone knows what his or her full potential is, I donít believe in genetics as a ceiling for performance, and I donít believe in plateaus." JMB

Proudly Sponsored by http://muscleandbrawn.com/
Traphouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Shadow
damaged goods
Max Brawn
Points: 1,005, Level: 17 Points: 1,005, Level: 17 Points: 1,005, Level: 17
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: A long time, off and on.
Training Type: SFW!
Shadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributor

If you've only been working out for a month, then I know you haven't maxed out your gains with SS. If anything, you noob gains should be through the roof right now.

Why are you looking to switch something up already? Goals and personal information is needed, as traphouse said.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn

WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

Im 23, 6'0, maybe 6'1 and last time I checked I was around 165lbs. I dont own a scale so I could be more or less now. I been following Reg Parks 5x5 program. I'm not necessarily looking to change up my program, but looking for a way to increase my Bench numbers. In the last month I was able to increase my Squat by 45lbs and Deadlift by 85lbs. But, my bench is stay pretty much the same..

So far these are my #'s - Max lifts not included.

Squat - 165lbs
Bench - 110-115lbs
Deadlift - 205lbs
Shoulder Press - 80lbs

My goals are to get bigger & stronger, I just want to get huge, over 200+ pounds of mass as well as strength. I know it takes time and maybe years for me. I just feel eager and motivated at the moment to push myself to grow. Maybe I should just keep it simple..

Last edited by WilldBill88; 07-03-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
If you've only been working out for a month, then I know you haven't maxed out your gains with SS. If anything, you noob gains should be through the roof right now.

Why are you looking to switch something up already? Goals and personal information is needed, as traphouse said.
Hiiii Shadow!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

If your bench has already stalled, it probably means you started too heavy. A common mistake among new lifters and primarily with the bench press.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

You're only 5 weeks in the gym mate, just concentrate on getting the form right. Add 5lbs to the bar here and there, and it'll come.

Eat a little more too, if you want to gain 35-45lbs then you're gonna need to get started I reckon! I'd recommend to shoot for about half a pound of weight gain a week, support that with hard work in the gym, add weight to the bar whereever you can and you'll start to gain good mass.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn

@Off Road, I probably did start a lil heavier then I should of, I guess I felt a lil embarrassed struggling with around 100lbs on the bench in a public gym.

@Fazc, thanks for the feedback, I'll keep it simple by focusing on form and gradually add 5-10 pounds.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
Shadow
damaged goods
Max Brawn

Shadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributorShadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Hiiii Shadow!
What's up Faz.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
Shadow
damaged goods
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilldBill'88 View Post
Im 23, 6'0, maybe 6'1 and last time I checked I was around 165lbs. I dont own a scale so I could be more or less now. I been following Reg Parks 5x5 program. I'm not necessarily looking to change up my program, but looking for a way to increase my Bench numbers. In the last month I was able to increase my Squat by 45lbs and Deadlift by 85lbs. But, my bench is stay pretty much the same..
When you first start working out, its typical to see radical gains on squat and deadlift. Most of these gains aren't really gains, rather just learning the pattern of the movement.

And its typical to have more difficulty adding weight to "smaller" lifts like Bench and Over-Head Press. Less muscles involved, the harder it is to increase the weight.

Quote:
So far these are my #'s - Max lifts not included.

Squat - 165lbs
Bench - 110-115lbs
Deadlift - 205lbs
Shoulder Press - 80lbs
There is PLENTY of room for improvement. Any basic compound program can take you leaps beyond these numbers. You just gotta keep at it. In comparison to your other lifts, you bench actually isn't bad. You shouldn't be capable of benching more than you can squat or deadlift.

Give it time, and they'll all go up. Just keep eating.

Quote:
My goals are to get bigger & stronger, I just want to get huge, over 200+ pounds of mass as well as strength. I know it takes time and maybe years for me. I just feel eager and motivated at the moment to push myself to grow. Maybe I should just keep it simple..
Mass comes with strength, and strength comes with mass - meaning, keep adding weight to the bar and size will come. If you want to get big, you need to eat big and lift big. That's the bottom line.

This stuff isn't rocket science, and it doesn't need to be complicated to work. What you get out of lifting is what you put in; effort = results.