Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Deadlift tips requested (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10409)

IronWill 06-29-2012 09:05 AM

Deadlift tips requested

I have been doing RDLs for the last 3 months and I plan to switch to regular deadlifts next week. Rippetoe advocated a double overhand grip for the RDL. I have always seen others using the alternate grip on deadlifts. I just watched a Diesel Crew vid on deadlifting where they were using the double overhand grip.

What are the pros and cons of the alternate grip?

BendtheBar 06-29-2012 02:12 PM

Most people will struggle with double overhand beyond a certain point. I can't deadlift more than 315 with DOH. It's ok to use, but if the bar starts slipping during reps you need to switch. You do not want to injure your back when deadlifting due to a rolling bar.

Some people will tell you to stick with a DOH to improve your grip strength. I am not a fan. You deadlift to improve the deadlift, not to improve your grip strength. Use it, but when it runs it's course, set it aside.

austin.j.taylor 06-29-2012 03:34 PM

If you consistantly use the over/under grip without alternating hands, you can cause a strength imbalance in the traps. Your hips can also get unbalanced. The reason you would use the doh grip for rdl's is that you arent repping a weight that you shouldnt be able to do doh.

Fazc 06-29-2012 04:40 PM

I hardly ever alternate in training for the reasons stated above; it's either DOH or straps and I have never had ANY grip issues in competition.

Get some lifting straps mate.

Bodybygamma 06-29-2012 04:51 PM

If you have to use lifting straps get some old school ones (ironmind and elite fts sell them) so more pressure is still on your hands and fingers for grips instead of just your wrists. I been using the hook grip lately and plan on using it until I can't during warm ups then the over/under grip alternated to the one I don't use for my lifting as my hips/traps imbalance causes me pain whenever I feel 600lbs.

IronManlet 06-29-2012 05:36 PM

I keep hearing about body imbalances and so forth for using alternate grip, but most of the time I just can't be bothered with straps. I don't like having to bend over to strap up and then having my hands glued to the bar; keeps me from getting a good footing. If you ever see me set up you'd know what I mean.

5kgLifter 06-29-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronManlet (Post 255160)
I keep hearing about body imbalances and so forth for using alternate grip, but most of the time I just can't be bothered with straps. I don't like having to bend over to strap up and then having my hands glued to the bar; keeps me from getting a good footing. If you ever see me set up you'd know what I mean.

I have to admit bending over to put straps on is annoying, these days I kneel down after having watched someone else do the straps that way, and find it much better all-round. Of course, you'd still have the foot placement issue to deal with.

PowerBuilder500 06-30-2012 03:22 AM

Learn a hook grip. Painful at first, it essentially turns your fingers into wraps. Lighter pulls like RDLs are a good way to transition in to these. I've been doing them for a couple of months and I'm already holding onto weights beyond what my mixed grip will allow.

Also, the even setup by having both hands over feels better in my shoulders and upper back.