Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Awesome Strength without AAS?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2012, 05:01 AM   #2
DanB
Brawn
Points: 630, Level: 12 Points: 630, Level: 12 Points: 630, Level: 12
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: ....
DanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good posts

Who is this guy? Would like to hear more of what he has to say. Interesting guy, speaks sense.

Theres no such thing as a rest day, its a lifestyle that requires work everyday,
Bring it
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
IronWill
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Who is this guy? Would like to hear more of what he has to say. Interesting guy, speaks sense.
Clint Darden @ clintdarden.com

When he says that the long timers have not been abusing anabolics, certainly he doesn't mean not using ?
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Sounds like he's justifying his own usage.

Top athletes don't "abuse" steroids?
Ya, that's because top athletes are probably the best responders.

He said he pulled over 800 while he was clean?
Doesn't mean he hadn't been using for a long time and wasn't just off-cycle. Clean and natural are two completely different things.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWill View Post
Clint Darden @ clintdarden.com

When he says that the long timers have not been abusing anabolics, certainly he doesn't mean not using ?
No, he doesn't mean they aren't using. Guys like Louie Simmons admit long term usage.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I respect Clint's opinion, but I also want to share some food for thought.

I've met several top lifters who thought they weren't abusing AAS. They told me how calculated and safe everything was. Then they would rattle off a list of chemicals that was somewhat surprising. One particular lifter even remarked he was "enhanced to the gills." Another was using experimental stuff you would never hear about, even on AAS forums.

Is this abuse? You decide. Some will say yes, some no...

I know Clint means well, but I do know some lifters with borderline issues. The definition of abuse...well...is a debate in itself. I know a handful of guys right now that are using aggressive approaches that scare me a bit.

I think many people are smart about things, but this is a competitive sport. As Clint remarked, people who achieve are driven. I think it goes without saying that some of these people are willing to cross the line, though they may be in denial that the line was crossed.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

I have very little personal experience on this subject. Having said that, I think 500-800mg a week of test and 4 week runs of d-bol is considered safe in many circles. And arguably it may be.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I've met several top lifters who thought they weren't abusing AAS. They told me how calculated and safe everything was. Then they would rattle off a list of chemicals that was somewhat surprising. One particular lifter even remarked he was "enhanced to the gills." Another was using experimental stuff you would never hear about, even on AAS forums.

Is this abuse? You decide. Some will say yes, some no...
That's the crux of the whole AAS thing for me. There's a lack of credible information about what constitues abuse.

It's really hard to get unbiased, fact-based information. There are studies that suggest even mild AAS have pretty nasty effects but how do you separate those possible effects fromthose of increased body mass, extreme diets,weight yo-yoing up and down, other recreational or performance enhancing drugs, etc etc?

We all listen more to sources that tell us what we want to hear, and lifters are no exception. If Dan Duchaine, or Bill Phillips, or the new generation of gurus say AAS are OK in moderation, that's who they will listen to. Or more likely, someone down the gym who sounds like he might know what he's talking about.

In general, I think lifters are generally in denial about the possible effects of AAS. As BTB says, everyone thinks he is being safe and sensible. They get their blood work done, and if that comes back fine, assume that AAS can't be having long-term effects. I'm not so sure.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

It is definitely a polarizing topic.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I have very little personal experience on this subject. Having said that, I think 500-800mg a week of test and 4 week runs of d-bol is considered safe in many circles. And arguably it may be.
That would be considered conservative., more like an advanced beginning cycle. Usually first cycles are small dosages of test alone.

Strength athletes tend to take a more harsh oral.