Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member
Default Squat is worst exercise ever

I've gotta admit, this guy is actually a genius in some perverse way. He makes a controversial statement, tells everyone that he doesn't have to prove he is right and everyone has to prove he is wrong. Oh and scientific studies don't count

I say genius because I assume this is just a method of attracting traffic and judging by all the comments, mission accomplished. If this is a genuine belief of his, he really is a tool however.

Barbell Squat : the Worst Exercise in Existence?

P.S Not sure if this is in the right section so apologies Steve if it is.

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Climbing Everest is stupid too. I win. He's dull and weak.

/The end.

Not being sarcastic. I think most anything athletic is dangerous to a point. I have erectors that look like pythons, and traps like the great wall of China. They seem to be holding things together just fine. I also seem to be doing better than the average man my age who does jack squat, pun intended, and has back issues.

My logic delivers the death blow? Perhaps not, but it's true.

Side Note...they teach this kind of stuff on a lot of the blog marketing sites. Excellent way of gaining quick attention if you're selling something. I am wagering he has a e-book or DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuyt
Not sure if this is in the right section so apologies Steve if it is.
You can put it wherever you want. It's all good.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-21-2012 at 03:35 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Anthony 'Dream' Johnson.

Me and Btb were discussing potential nicknames recently. I think this guy has us beat.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Not to start anything BUT if you lissoned he was talking about for the "average just w/o for health" and he does say he was NOT talking about P/L's or BBers.
I can see his point being the average "walk off the street, play in a gym, suck soda on tread mill person" will NOT use proper form, thus yes in this case it can be very bad for you, go use the leg extention and leg curl machines.

Now if he said "For anyone" ya, I would bash him myself and be the first one in line to do so.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

2 points Rich:

1) Average gym rats don't squat. Men and women included. If they do, it is usually a dance with Mr. Smith.

2) People with bad form on squats tend to have bad form on bench, curls, on and on...so most everything in the gym is rather dangerous for them.

If they do squat, odds are they are risking their knees and lower back far more than their spine.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
2 points Rich:

1) Average gym rats don't squat. Men and women included. If they do, it is usually a dance with Mr. Smith.

2) People with bad form on squats tend to have bad form on bench, curls, on and on...so most everything in the gym is rather dangerous for them.
lol You just sead what I did just better wording.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40

Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

and driving is the worst mode of transportation.

this guy is a complete douchebag trying to sell some crap to some stupid people
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I guess I just don't understand the reasoning. I don't know what's so massively different from a casual trainee and a BB or PL when they're under the bar in the gym.

Less weight? Maybe. More of a emphasis on a certain muscle? Perhaps.

Is that really a reason not to do one of the most effective exercises for mass? Are my biological and physiological needs so different from Joe Average who doesn't compete? Do we respond that differently to exercise? There was a reason that pretty much every drug-free trainee in the history of strength and physique training has done Squats. There was a reason Squats became popular from when Milo Steinborn first got the (admittedly pretty dangerous and retarded) idea to up-end a barbell and squat with it. There was a reason that the popularity of Squats persisted.

The reason is that it works. Period.

Last edited by Fazc; 06-21-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Is the barbell squat dangerous? Hell ya it is. That's what makes them so effective and cool. Grow or Die baby!
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

T NATION | The New Rules of Strength Training

(read it to the end)