Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Squat is worst exercise ever (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10349)

Kuytrider 06-21-2012 03:10 PM

Squat is worst exercise ever

I've gotta admit, this guy is actually a genius in some perverse way. He makes a controversial statement, tells everyone that he doesn't have to prove he is right and everyone has to prove he is wrong. Oh and scientific studies don't count :march:

I say genius because I assume this is just a method of attracting traffic and judging by all the comments, mission accomplished. If this is a genuine belief of his, he really is a tool however.

Barbell Squat : the Worst Exercise in Existence?

P.S Not sure if this is in the right section so apologies Steve if it is.

BendtheBar 06-21-2012 03:26 PM

Climbing Everest is stupid too. I win. He's dull and weak.

/The end.

Not being sarcastic. I think most anything athletic is dangerous to a point. I have erectors that look like pythons, and traps like the great wall of China. They seem to be holding things together just fine. I also seem to be doing better than the average man my age who does jack squat, pun intended, and has back issues.

My logic delivers the death blow? Perhaps not, but it's true.

http://comicattack.net/wp-content/up...kenarm_490.jpg

Side Note...they teach this kind of stuff on a lot of the blog marketing sites. Excellent way of gaining quick attention if you're selling something. I am wagering he has a e-book or DVD?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuyt
Not sure if this is in the right section so apologies Steve if it is.

You can put it wherever you want. It's all good.

Fazc 06-21-2012 03:45 PM

Anthony 'Dream' Johnson.

Me and Btb were discussing potential nicknames recently. I think this guy has us beat.

Rich Knapp 06-21-2012 03:56 PM

Not to start anything BUT if you lissoned he was talking about for the "average just w/o for health" and he does say he was NOT talking about P/L's or BBers.
I can see his point being the average "walk off the street, play in a gym, suck soda on tread mill person" will NOT use proper form, thus yes in this case it can be very bad for you, go use the leg extention and leg curl machines.

Now if he said "For anyone" ya, I would bash him myself and be the first one in line to do so. :rockon:

BendtheBar 06-21-2012 04:07 PM

2 points Rich:

1) Average gym rats don't squat. Men and women included. If they do, it is usually a dance with Mr. Smith.

2) People with bad form on squats tend to have bad form on bench, curls, on and on...so most everything in the gym is rather dangerous for them.

If they do squat, odds are they are risking their knees and lower back far more than their spine.

Rich Knapp 06-21-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 253092)
2 points Rich:

1) Average gym rats don't squat. Men and women included. If they do, it is usually a dance with Mr. Smith.

2) People with bad form on squats tend to have bad form on bench, curls, on and on...so most everything in the gym is rather dangerous for them.

lol You just sead what I did just better wording. ;)

Bill 06-21-2012 04:17 PM

and driving is the worst mode of transportation.

this guy is a complete douchebag trying to sell some crap to some stupid people

Fazc 06-21-2012 04:22 PM

I guess I just don't understand the reasoning. I don't know what's so massively different from a casual trainee and a BB or PL when they're under the bar in the gym.

Less weight? Maybe. More of a emphasis on a certain muscle? Perhaps.

Is that really a reason not to do one of the most effective exercises for mass? Are my biological and physiological needs so different from Joe Average who doesn't compete? Do we respond that differently to exercise? There was a reason that pretty much every drug-free trainee in the history of strength and physique training has done Squats. There was a reason Squats became popular from when Milo Steinborn first got the (admittedly pretty dangerous and retarded) idea to up-end a barbell and squat with it. There was a reason that the popularity of Squats persisted.

The reason is that it works. Period.

Off Road 06-21-2012 04:29 PM

Is the barbell squat dangerous? Hell ya it is. That's what makes them so effective and cool. Grow or Die baby!

IronManlet 06-21-2012 06:54 PM

T NATION | The New Rules of Strength Training

(read it to the end)