Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast
Default A Little Experiment

I've been thinking about this for the past couple of hours, and I don't think it's really anything new under the horizon, but I think it's an interesting idea nonetheless. After my week long vacation, I'm thinking of focusing on one of the big three lifts solely for a block of time followed by just a week or two of equal focus between my lifts.

Here's a rough outline of the idea:
Monday: Heavy lift of focus with heavy assistance
Wednesday: Another heavy lift, light assistance, other lift light
Friday: Heavy lift of focus, heavy assistance
Saturday: Light lift of focus, another light lift and maybe some assistance on that

So basically, I'll pick the bench to train three days a week. 2 heavy days all around, 2 light days with one day having light assistance. Maybe on the Wednesday workout do a heavy squat with a light deadlift. Then on the Saturday squat or deadlift again. Whatever I feel like.

I would train this way for 4 weeks, then do a one or two week period of backing off on whatever my focus was and start upping the volume on whatever the next lift will be.

Does this make sense? I think it will be fun to play around with. The last month and a half or so I've just been going by feel. Some days going lighter with more sets and reps, some days going near max or breaking new PRs. I'll probably start with the squat so I can give my elbow more time to heal for my benching. There will also be cleans inserted in the evenings I'm sure, because it's summer time, I'm young, and my test is high and I just love cleans. What do you all think?

(I'll try to keep this updated on what I get or at least think I'm getting from it, however, I tend to come and go from forums)
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Makes sense. It's a form of specialization. My only suggestion from personal experience using high frequency is that you may want to entertain doing variations for bench press and especially for deadlifts when specializing. I found floor deadlifts particularly taxing more than 1x a week.

Good luck!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote