Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor
Default Anybody pull better sumo than conventional?

I noticed I'm having much easier/better pulls on my sumo days than my conventional days. I guess it doesn't hurt that my lower back is as strong as hell.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I do as well Trevor, I haven't quite figured out why though. My brother is built very much like me and we do the same thing in the gym except he pulls far better conventional than he does sumo.

My best guess is that my hips/glutes strength is far stronger than his, and my wide stance squat/sumo training has a synergistic effect.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn

Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I do as well Trevor, I haven't quite figured out why though. My brother is built very much like me and we do the same thing in the gym except he pulls far better conventional than he does sumo.

My best guess is that my hips/glutes strength is far stronger than his, and my wide stance squat/sumo training has a synergistic effect.
It's like Louie Simmons said once.

"I am always concerned when a coach asks how low can we squat,
referring to Olympic squats. A very close squat stance makes no sense.
Look at a pyramid; the wider the base, the greater the pyramid. I guess
if my only claim to fame was bouncing my ass off my heels with 315, I
would ask that question myself."
Old 06-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Ross View Post
Look at a pyramid; the wider the base, the greater the pyramid.
Bit of an oversimplification in my opinion.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I know a persons body type and leverages need to be taken into consideration. Let's take the press, the biggest presses were with a wide stance and a slight lean back, as opposed to the strict press in which the feet were together and a perfectly erect posture.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Louie pretty much wrote this wikipedia entry:

Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although Louie would probably say if the strawman had utilised a wider stance he wouldn't have been so easy to knock down!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post

Although Louie would probably say if the strawman had utilised a wider stance he wouldn't have been so easy to knock down!
So there!