Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #21
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

I do get it though, if you have weak pecs, triceps, back, biceps, and shoulders you're going to have a weak bench.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Ross View Post
I do get it though, if you have weak pecs, triceps, back, and shoulders you're going to have a weak bench.
Yeah exactly, I don't think we're necessarily disagreeing here and I get the feeling our training is very similar

I do a lot of work with variations and assistance, just like you I do high bar squats to help my squats and some chest-specific exercises to help my bench.

It's really just a matter of responding to weak areas. Everyone is individual so blanket prescriptions like 'triceps for bench' while true for probably most people isn't always the best thing to do to the exclusion of everything else.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #23
emekajokammor
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

Good discussion in here

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #24
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Triceps are more important on a shirted bench than raw, since the shirt supports the weight at the bottom of the lift. I do alot of tricep assistance work since I compete in a shirt.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #25
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn

Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
Triceps are more important on a shirted bench than raw, since the shirt supports the weight at the bottom of the lift.
So the shirt would protect you from pec tears would it not? I know jack shit about geared lifting.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #26
Ryano
Max Brawn

Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Quote:
So the shirt would protect you from pec tears would it not? I know jack shit about geared lifting.
Yes, gear protects your pecs and shoulders. I think the original question was specifically about raw lifting though. Don't want to hijack his thread.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #27
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn

Quote:
Yes, gear protects your pecs and shoulders. I think the original question was specifically about raw lifting though. Don't want to hijack his thread.
I'm thinking once I get raw lifting out of my system I'll give single ply stuff a go.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #28
Ryano
Max Brawn

Quote:
I'm thinking once I get raw lifting out of my system I'll give single ply stuff a go.
Come on over to the "dark side". LOL
Old 06-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #29
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn

Quote:
Come on over to the "dark side". LOL
Ha ha, a lot of people crap on gear, but it keeps people in the sport, guys in their 50's and 60's can still move big weight and compete because of it. Tell you what, when I total elite raw I'll join the dark side.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #30
Ryano
Max Brawn

Quote:
Ha ha, a lot of people crap on gear, but it keeps people in the sport, guys in their 50's and 60's can still move big weight and compete because of it. Tell you what, when I total elite raw I'll join the dark side.
I'll be 57 in a few months. If not for gear, I would be out of the game