Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Fixing my bench press

I went through my recent log history trying to find out what I was doing when my bench press was moving, and what I was doing when it wasn't. I was baffled. Both approaches looked the same.

During the first 2 months of frequent benching my presses skyrocketed up to a 450 Slingshot max. I was hitting PRs every week. After that point things took a nose dive. 405 feels heavy now. I couldn't figure out what the difference was until today...

I dropped heavy overhead presses about 2 months into frequent benching.

Here I was searching for some magical combination of bench press reps, sets and schemes, and I overlooked the obvious: my shoulders are getting weaker. Today I added in overhead dumbbell presses just for fun, and found I was weaker by 20 pounds per dumbbell. I had lost a lot of shoulder strength.

Am I 100% certain this is the main factor behind my bench press stalling? No. But I do believe this is a big part of what has caused the wheels to fall off the PR machine.

Don't misinterpret this post as a call to overhead pressing. It's not. The point I am trying to make is that when trying to figure out why things have stalled, don't overlook the obvious.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-05-2012 at 03:14 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links