Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
mab54
Max Brawn
Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Scivation whey
mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
Really, the average joe couldnt do a true max bench 3x a week over period of time before reaching a point of counterproductive. Once again Im no expert and never will I claim to be.
True, but I just never found benching to be that taxing. (maybe because I suck at it) I could see myself over a few months working up to a daily max a few times a week with it though if I keep other pressing to a minimum.

Edit: I'm not saying it would be a great idea, but I could see it producing some gains. One might also have to think about things like elbow and shoulder sleeves.

Last edited by mab54; 06-05-2012 at 12:52 PM.
mab54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Three times a week at near 500 would make my shoulder cry and fall off....lol

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
Really, the average joe couldnt do a true max bench 3x a week over period of time before reaching a point of counterproductive. Once again Im no expert and never will I claim to be.
Pre-hab work is a must if you're going all out frequently.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I have found that floor deadlifting more than 1x a week didn't work for me. I needed to use variations, even if they were low rack deads. Right now I am experimenting with infrequent floor pulling, but frequent pulling. Working well so far.
I've had a similar experience too. Although you are way ahead of me in the amount you pull, I was able to finally break the 500 barrier.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I tried this as a beginner and It beat me to the ground. Not for beginners but if you learned your body and recovery abilities well enough Its a fun way to train. I agree with btb on using different deadlft variations and I would also change a squat day for frontsquats.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Ross View Post
Pre-hab work is a must if you're going all out frequently.
Although Trevor, I would agree with Gasp on this and just point out that it's a "daily max" rather than a true maximum. A daily max is anywhere from 85=90% of a true maximum. For Gasp that would be 425 to 450, now I'm sure Gasp could manage that twice a week for at least a couple of weeks. Once that's established we build up from there.

You know my training style, I bench at least 3 times a week now and usually now 4 BUT it's ESSENTIAL that you know how to manage this intensity to make it work.

I think it's a great idea and Broz has done great things for opening up the minds of lifters but I think it's also just as wise not to jump off the other end of the pier either and just go all out. Not go from infrequent training to all out max frequency. Some precaution, build-up and gradual conditioning to this more frequent approach is necessary to allow you to take advantage of it.

This type of approach is what I'm talking about when I talk about lifters putting in the work and patience in conditioning to allow themselves to do productive routines.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn

Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Although Trevor, I would agree with Gasp on this and just point out that it's a "daily max" rather than a true maximum. A daily max is anywhere from 85=90% of a true maximum. For Gasp that would be 425 to 450, now I'm sure Gasp could manage that twice a week for at least a couple of weeks. Once that's established we build up from there.

You know my training style, I bench at least 3 times a week now and usually now 4 BUT it's ESSENTIAL that you know how to manage this intensity to make it work.

I think it's a great idea and Broz has done great things for opening up the minds of lifters but I think it's also just as wise not to jump off the other end of the pier either and just go all out. Not go from infrequent training to all out max frequency. Some precaution, build-up and gradual conditioning to this more frequent approach is necessary to allow you to take advantage of it.

This type of approach is what I'm talking about when I talk about lifters putting in the work and patience in conditioning to allow themselves to do productive routines.
Providing that you avoid the injury bug, wouldn't the routine itself condition you?
Old 06-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Ross View Post
Providing that you avoid the injury bug, wouldn't the routine itself condition you?
Generally in my experience, if you were to maintain the intensity but increase the frequency as Broz is suggesting then no it wouldn't. Even the Bulgarians whom Broz trained under didn't approach training like that, it was titrated in an upwards trend.

If you were to start light then sure that's a different matter. In Gasp's example once again if he were to attempt 350 for each of his 3 x weekly bench sessions then I could see it working. Taking a couple months to go from 350 to 425 (daily max) as a working weight, with frequent deloads done in between would work. Then over time up that some more.

EDIT - Just to clarify i'm all for frequenct benching, hell I'm benching heavy 4 times a week at the moment. I guess all I'm trying to say is that it takes some time and knowledge of how you respond to stuff to make it work. Otherwise you might regress/get injured and be another in the long line of people who proudly proclaim "didnt work for me! only works for easygainers!".

Last edited by Fazc; 06-05-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #19
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn

I'm doing these exercises in a Push/Pull split in an (A/B/C/D/A/B)(C/D/A/B/C/D) 8 sets of 3. I'm doing not bad so far, we'll see how I hold up. I'm on week three now.

Bench press/Reverse grip bench press
Barbell row/Underhand row
Press behind the neck/Press
Pull up/Chin up
Deadlift/Sumo Deadlift
Low bar Squat/High bar Squat
Old 06-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
Fazc
Max Brawn

That sounds great Trevor, how many days a week are you training?