Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Strong Without Steroids? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10136)

BendtheBar 06-01-2012 07:23 AM

Strong Without Steroids?

How strong can you get without steroids?

Off Road 06-01-2012 09:49 AM

Seems like solid information. With or without assistance, your genetics are your determining factor.

austin.j.taylor 06-03-2012 10:46 PM

I dont hold a lot of faith from a steroid user in regards to natural training and genetic potential.

What I do know is I havent come close to my natural limit, nor can I see an end in sight.

Mr.Silverback 06-03-2012 11:30 PM

My thoughts : hard work trumps talent/genetics when talent/genetics dont work hard

Silverback Barbell

Trevor Ross 06-06-2012 03:12 PM

Those Bell brothers trained for a long time clean before they did their first cycle. They were Powerlifting in elementary school. The big brother was a good enough athlete to play D1 Football.

Trevor Ross 06-06-2012 03:12 PM

Didn't the oldest brother pass away awhile back?

Bodybygamma 06-06-2012 05:46 PM

Steroids help strength far far less than they do for physique. I would say you looking at a 25% Strength advantage as to Physique which is 75%. Recovery which benifits both is still prob a 40%Strength to 60-80%Physique advantage since depending on the roids if they are really scientifically roids or just branded as roids has different effects so its variable.

You actually know have to train to get strong and stay strong.

DieselWeasel 06-06-2012 07:21 PM

How strong can you become without AAS? Ask guys like Cyr, Goerner, Peoples, Anderson, and others from the pre-steroid era. On second thought, that would be impossible because they died many years ago. Nevertheless, they all achieved incredible strength and power while only eating regular food, not using any magic powders or syringes. Don't impose limits on yourself just because you lack the genetics of a demigod or the drugs of a pharmacist. Shit, that last line is sig-worthy. LOL

Kuytrider 06-07-2012 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodybygamma (Post 248740)
Steroids help strength far far less than they do for physique. I would say you looking at a 25% Strength advantage as to Physique which is 75%. Recovery which benifits both is still prob a 40%Strength to 60-80%Physique advantage since depending on the roids if they are really scientifically roids or just branded as roids has different effects so its variable.

You actually know have to train to get strong and stay strong.

It's funny you say that because I saw a massive guy who uses some chemical 'assistance' (one of the staff in my gym admitted that a large proportion of guys there use steroids) struggle to deadlift 140kg for a double.
I also echo Austin's thoughts insofar as I am nowhere near my genetic ceiling so onwards and upwards au naturale!

P.S My wife would kill me if I ever took steroids! :march:

IronManlet 06-07-2012 06:58 AM

Most of the strongest people in history were training before steroids were even around to mess with.

I don't pay much attention to "who's on" or not. People are capable of much more than they think, and steroids have just become another excuse, to my mind.