Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #11
RobMoriRB
Max Brawn
Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

ROM's 5/3/1 custom sounds fitting, but like you said it will load 100% in week 3 instead of week 6
Dead Lift:455/500/?

Master Goal: Compete in 1 Lifting Sport!!! Completed Nov 16th 2014

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I'm right there with you Bam, turning 49 in just over a month.

The cool thing is that we can still make good progress but we have to be more patient and train smarter than our younger counterparts. Let's face it, we don't recover as fast as we used to when we were younger. Years ago, if we tweaked a knee or recieved some other kind of small injury, we'd heal up in a matter of days. Now it seems to take weeks to feel right again. It just happens as we get older.

I agree with Faz, you need a routine that is flexible enough to take these recovery differences into consideration. I like Faz's recommendation of adding weight when you can and holding steady when you need to. You can still start a little light and give yourself time to gain momentum, in fact it's recomended. I am currently using the progression scheme that BtB talks about; getting 20 total reps over 3 sets and then adding weight.

That's also a reason I like 5/3/1. It allows you to take it easy if you need to by just getting your required reps. On days you feel good you can go for rep PRs. And it has you increasing poundages like clockwork every month, so there is always a trend upward. If and when things just get too heavy then you can reduce your maxes and give your body time to adjust for the next attack. You will still be hitting rep PRs even with the lighter weight and getting a good training effect.

So really, there are so many ways to "get it done" that you just have to find the style you believe in and gives you the progress you desire. I've done 5x5 routines, 5/3/1, Hardgainer cycling, and others, but I just can't say that one gave me a great advantage over another. They all worked according to the effort I put into them.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

I have run both programs. I ran Starrs 5X5 for about 15 months and 5/3/1 for almost a year. Both are great in terms of progression. 5/3/1 is a little easier for my body to keep up with as far as progression went. 5X5 was great when I had just started, but I tried to give it a run again a few months ago and I didnt last a month.

It all comes down to what can your body handle right now, weekly progression or monthly progression?
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #14
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I started Starr's 5 x 5 today. After thinking through everything, the concept is simple, the routine is simple and very micro loading friendly. Everything I need right now.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #15
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

This is FWIW. I think your decision to do Starr is just fine and you will crush it.

I did Starr to start, at 46, and progressed mightily. I'm now doing Wendler's 5-3-1 fullbody and am progressing mightily again. Like OR said, it's not so much the program as it is your desire to crush it. What fits your style of working out? Then it's a matter of Fazc's merciless (and I mean that in a good way) ideas about progression. Push it when you can, and float a week when you can't. But push it is the key.

That said, Starr's fifth set can become a huge bugbear. 5 reps at 90% gets heavy real fast. You'll build up to it of course, but once you hit that wall you hit it and have to deal or drop back. Wendler's is a bit more forgiving at the upper end it seems like so far. You're always in the heavy zone, but the rep scheme is less daunting, at least so far for me.

My .02! Mileage may vary as BtB says. I personally believe that if you start out light enough, Starr's 5x5 is the way to go. That's what I would have chosen had I not got a bug up my bottom about trying 5-3-1.

FWIW.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #16
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

I'd go with Bill Starr, high frequency and a bit of volume. You don't get better at things by doing them less.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote