Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training > Powerlifting Federations
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting Federations Powerlifting Federation information and resources, courtesy of Powerlifting Watch.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
RobMoriRB
Max Brawn
Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member
Exclamation Anything I should Worry?

I am just 11 weeks out from my first meet and I will be competing in the 120kg class. Is there any advice you experience lifters could give me and or tips on openers? This might be my biggest weakness is the numbers games on when to do my old 1RM and such. IS there anything I should be careful about or worry about
Dead Lift: 501

GYM PR
Squat: 405
Bench: 285
Dead Lift: 475

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

I wrote this awhile back. It might be helpful to you.

http://bigworkoutplan.com/powerlifti...peaking-cycle/

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Your old or current 1rm mean nothing in a meet. Pic an opener you could triple, or something you know you could get once any day of the week no matter how tired, sick, or close to death you are. You can have tentative numbers planned for your 2nd or 3rd attempts, but the only thing you should have pretty much set in stone is your opener, and it should be conservative. You don't want to bomb on your first meet.

As for your training, there are lots of resources on peaking cycles like J laid out. Basically you want to slowly decrease the volume and variation and increase the intensity and specificity. The one thing you'll see almost every resource say is that your last session before the meet should just be working up to your opener, then you should spend your last week before the meet resting and either not training or just doing a little stretching and possibly a little pump work to get the blood flowing.

Remember that maxing out on 3 lifts on one day in a place you've never been before is very different from training, which is why I said don't even think about your current maxes. They mean nothing. Just go by what you're feeling that day and try to get whatever you can.

I haven't had the chance to compete yet. I was planning to in October, but those plans fell through so I'm still going to peak and do a full mock meet, including weigh in. Because of my plans to compete and desire to do well I've done quite a bit of research.

Good luck!
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
miked96
Max Brawn
Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

Thats a damn good article. My advice is pick one person to guide you and listen to them. Dont listen to anybody else. Crowdsourcing advice on a forum will end up in you being more confused than when you started. J Byrd (proven experience on the platform) would be my choice and its worth the extra money just to hire him and let him help you.
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
GZeolla
Banned
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,123, Level: 18 Points: 1,123, Level: 18 Points: 1,123, Level: 18
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: Since 1973 (with breaks)
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Organic, natural foods
GZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributor

My article “Introduction to Powerlifting Competition” might be of help to you -
http://www.fitnessforoneandall.com/p...e/intro_pl.htm

You’ll also find lots of info in this regard in my book “Starting and Progressing in Powerlifting” as it was written for beginner to intermediate powerlifters –
http://www.fitnessforoneandall.com/b...werlifting.htm

But whatever you do, don’t worry! Stay focused and calm. Don’t stress out. Let it be a good experience no matter what happens.
GZeolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
Cutty
Max Brawn
Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

I'll shamelessly plug my article I wrote after my first comp:

12 Weeks to the Platform: Your First Powerlifting Meet

Link to log

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512

Passion without discipline is just a dream. - Steve Shaw

Sometimes you make your own pull by pushing forward. - Steve Shaw
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote