Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
henryh
Brawn
Points: 630, Level: 12 Points: 630, Level: 12 Points: 630, Level: 12
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

henryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality posts
Default Water

Will drinking lots of water help me lose body fat?
henryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

It won't hurt any. Eating fewer calories will help more. It is possible, though difficult, to drink so much water that you deplete your body's electrolytes. This is less than ideal.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Iron Troy
New Brawn
Points: 168, Level: 3 Points: 168, Level: 3 Points: 168, Level: 3
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Iron Troy is off to a bad start

Yes it can. It will help to fill you up and also flush toxins out of your body.
Iron Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

water does a lot things like Iron Troy said, it can also speed your metabolism. water does a lot of amazing things for your body.
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryh View Post
No. Eating fewer calories than you consume will make you lose body fat. Just drink when you're thirsty.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
ONpump17
Perservere
Max Brawn
Points: 6,485, Level: 52 Points: 6,485, Level: 52 Points: 6,485, Level: 52
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 4 serious years, 1 meet
Fav Supp: Water
ONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machine

If you use it to fill yourself while doing an intermittent fast it will.
"Choose to not to be a product of your environment, but rather a product of your desires."Kroc
Comp Lifts(lb/kg): Squat: 385/175 Bench: 231/105 Deadlift: 463/210 Best Lifts: Squat: 395/180 Bench: 250/113 Deadlift: 475/215
ONpump17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
elijah
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,896, Level: 25 Points: 1,896, Level: 25 Points: 1,896, Level: 25

Training Exp: 2
Fav Supp: Red meat & diet Rockstar
elijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributorelijah is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
No. Eating fewer calories than you consume will make you lose body fat. Just drink when you're thirsty.
^^ this is the answer.
elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryh View Post
Drinking sensible amounts of water in order to keep your body properly hydrated will help it function optimally; it will prevent headaches caused by dehydration, permit you to workout at a better intensity (1-2% dehydration can reduce the intensity at which people are able to workout/perform physical tasks), and lots of other things to boot, i.e:

For the heart and circulatory system, though, thinner, more watery blood might be better.

Some threads of evidence suggest that people with thicker (or more viscous) blood have higher chances of developing heart disease or having a heart attack or stroke. The more viscous the blood, the harder the heart must work to move it around the body and the more likely it is to form clots inside arteries and veins.

Is blood like your waistline — the thinner, the better?
Old 05-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with your first sentence, but just think about the second sentence for a moment. Your body is what, 60% water? You've got to keep it hydrated to help it function properly. The feeling of "thirst" is NOT an indication to drink. It is a panic cry. By the time you feel thirsty, the situation is critical. Best not to let yourself get thirsty. Water is a good way to stay hydrated. Fruit juices are also good. Milk too, but not a first choice. Coffee and alcohol, nope. A rule of thumb that I've heard is to take your weight in pounds, and divide by two. That's how many ounces of water you should drink per day...just to maintain a healthy, balanced, optimally functioning body. If you exercise, then drink more. So a 200 pound person should drink a MINIMUM of 100 ounces of water. Tough to do. I have a difficult time, and can't very often get it done.

Back to the original post. In and of itself, I don't know. If you use water to keep your stomach full so you don't eat so much, then yes. I have heard, and I think there's some truth to this, that if you drink ice cold water, your body has to expend extra calories to warm it up to body tempurature. So it could help build up a caloric deficit.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
You've got to keep it hydrated to help it function properly. The feeling of "thirst" is NOT an indication to drink. It is a panic cry. By the time you feel thirsty, the situation is critical. Best not to let yourself get thirsty. Water is a good way to stay hydrated. Fruit juices are also good. Milk too, but not a first choice. Coffee and alcohol, nope. A rule of thumb that I've heard is to take your weight in pounds, and divide by two. That's how many ounces of water you should drink per day...just to maintain a healthy, balanced, optimally functioning body. If you exercise, then drink more. So a 200 pound person should drink a MINIMUM of 100 ounces of water. Tough to do. I have a difficult time, and can't very often get it done.

With respect, I couldn't disagree more. I have indeed thought about the second part of the statement and have been arguing about the water consumption myth for some years. I've done so on MAB before.

For my money, it's one of the more pernicious bits of nonsense that has slipped - largely unchallenged - into the health industry. It began with the wonderfully named Dr. Batmanghelidj, who must have some sort of record for the number of people he has successfully made paranoid about something they have absolutely no need to think about.

Certainly, under some circumstances, it might be possible to outstrip the thirst trigger. It would be prudent to keep your fluid intake up, for example, if you're walking any distance in the heat or working construction. But for most people in temperate climates, who aren't being fantastically active, their usual drinking patterns are going to be plenty to satisfy their needs. I suggest that anyone who is worried keeps an eye on the colour of their urine. If it's orange or brown, maybe it's time to drink something. Other than that, stop worrying: thirst isn't like the oil light on your car (you know, by the time it's on, the damage is done).

There's absolutely no evidence that healthy people need to hit some sort of arbitrary target for water consumption. Homeostatic mechanisms are a physiological marvel, and cope incredibly well at conserving water. Someone in temperate climates stands more chance of overwhelming these by over-consumption.

As a bit of weak-sauce anecdotal evidence, I sip water in the gym -because I sweat buckets - and on a work day, I drink 5-6 cups of tea/milk. That's it. I've never had any symptoms that I could reasonably attribute to dehydration.

P.S. It's another myth that tea and coffee dehydrate more than they dehydrate.

P.P.S. Just because the body is composed of 60% water - or whatever it is - doesn't mean that you need to think about topping it up more. By that logic, we would need to ensure we're breathing x number of times a day, as we're composed of 65% oxygen atoms (by mass).

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232

Last edited by Tannhauser; 05-06-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote