Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
wimpy
New Brawn
Points: 443, Level: 8 Points: 443, Level: 8 Points: 443, Level: 8
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

wimpy is off to a bad start
Default High Fructose corn syrup

How bad for you is high fructose corn syrup?
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

It's no worse for you than regular sugar.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
How bad for you is high fructose corn syrup?
Regular cane sugar (sucrose) is made of two-sugar molecules bound tightly together -- glucose and fructose in equal amounts. The enzymes in your digestive tract must break down the sucrose into glucose and fructose, which are then absorbed into the body.

HFCS also consists of glucose and fructose, not in a 50-50 ratio, but a 55-45 fructose to glucose ratio in an unbound form. Fructose is sweeter than glucose. And HFCS is cheaper than sugar because of the government farm bill corn subsidies. Products with HFCS are sweeter and cheaper than products made with cane sugar. This allowed for the average soda size to balloon from eight ounces to 20 ounces with little financial costs to manufacturers, but great human costs of increased obesity, diabetes and chronic disease.

Now back to biochemistry. Since there is there is no chemical bond between them, no digestion is required, so they are more rapidly absorbed into your blood stream. Fructose goes right to the liver and triggers lipogenesis (the production of fats like triglycerides and cholesterol). This is why it is the major cause of liver damage in this country and causes a condition called "fatty liver," which affects 70 million people. The rapidly absorbed glucose triggers big spikes in insulin -- our body's major fat storage hormone. Both of these features of HFCS lead to increased metabolic disturbances that drive increases in appetite, weight gain, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, dementia and more.

But there was one more thing I learned during lunch with Dr. Bruce Ames. Research done by his group at the Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute found that free fructose from HFCS requires more energy to be absorbed by the gut and soaks up two phosphorous molecules from ATP (our body's energy source). This depletes the energy fuel source or ATP in our gut required to maintain the integrity of our intestinal lining.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mar..._b_861913.html
Old 04-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Ryano
Max Brawn

Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

5kglifter, I think you're blaming HFCS for the crappy dietary habits of Americans. It's HFCS fault someone is fat when they drink 6 sodas a day, besides their regular food intake?

I don't really have a dog in this fight, 'cause I rarely drink a soda...
Old 04-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
5kglifter, I think you're blaming HFCS for the crappy dietary habits of Americans. It's HFCS fault someone is fat when they drink 6 sodas a day, besides their regular food intake?
Um, nope...I'm not blaming HFCS for anything, I merely located an article that had some info about it
Old 04-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Another piece I found which may be of interest:

A Princeton University research team has demonstrated that all sweeteners are not equal when it comes to weight gain: Rats with access to high-fructose corn syrup gained significantly more weight than those with access to table sugar, even when their overall caloric intake was the same.

In addition to causing significant weight gain in lab animals, long-term consumption of high-fructose corn syrup also led to abnormal increases in body fat, especially in the abdomen, and a rise in circulating blood fats called triglycerides.

Princeton University - A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain

It has to be taken in to account as well that Americans, in general, tend to consume more sugar now than they did years ago and it has been suggested on various internet sites that the consumption of sugar is around 10% of total calories in their diet; pretty sure some will be higher. Obviously, other countries will also have higher intakes of sugar because that's the way things have gone but I haven't read any stats for those.

HFCS, from what I read, is banned in the UK, or at least it was banned whether that has changed I have no idea but it's not an ingredient that I've come across in foods here; though, it could easily appear under a different name.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Ryano
Max Brawn

High-Fructose Corn Syrup vs. Sugar

"The bottom line is that your body processes both sugar and HFCS in the same way, and eating either can lead to obesity and diabetes. That means neither is healthier than the other."
Old 04-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
Ryano
Max Brawn

It's really a battle between the Sugar industry and the HFCS industry. They both come out with studies to support their side. Bottom line, eat to much of either and it's bad for you.

You pick up a turd by either end and your fingers will stink.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

stop drinking soda and eat clean. done. dont need to worry about either.
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

There is a marketing battle taking place in the states between these two.

Interesting to say the least. Throwback, made with real sugar:

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote