Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   high protein and weight loss (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9544)

wannabesquatter 04-04-2012 06:58 PM

high protein and weight loss

Will eating a high protein diet help you lose weight faster?

Off Road 04-04-2012 07:05 PM

No. Lower callories will help you lose weight.

JacktheThriller 04-04-2012 07:09 PM

yes it will calories being equal
protein is much harder for the body to breakdown and studies have shown it only has a total caloric load of 2-3 calories due to losing 1-2 in the processing of protein

jhew 04-04-2012 07:40 PM

Eating a higher protein diet is important during weight loss in order to try and preserve as much muscle as possible while cutting fat. Keep in mind I said DURING weight loss, not FOR weight loss. You will still require a caloric deficit during a a cut. There is always the option of a high FAT high protein diet for weight loss (KETOGENICS), however there is research suggesting that a keto diet inhibits Mtor and may be detrimental to muscle growth. To sum up: yes, if you are losing weight you should adjust your diet so that a higher percentage of your caloric intake is coming from protein to preserve muscle. However, simply eating protein alone will not directly cause weight loss on its own.

MVP 04-04-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannabesquatter (Post 230152)

It won't help you lose weight, but it will help preserve more muscle.

To the user above, ketogenics are perfectly safe. Most research against low carb diets are in reference to the atkins diet, which involves no carbs at all...ever.

bruteforce 04-04-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVP (Post 230194)
It won't help you lose weight, but it will help preserve more muscle.

To the user above, ketogenics are perfectly safe. Most research against low carb diets are in reference to the atkins diet, which involves no carbs at all...ever.

Not to get into too big of an argument of atkins, but he actually recommends 100g+ a day if you can handle it. The 20g a day is only supposed to last 2 weeks, and then you bump 10g a day (a weekly bump) until you hit your sweet spot. In his book, he repeatedly talks about the need for vegetables that are nutrient dense. His diet plan is often misrepresented, but if you take the time to read his actual work and not the bastardization everyone points it, its pretty good.

MVP 04-04-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 230196)
Not to get into too big of an argument of atkins, but he actually recommends 100g+ a day if you can handle it. The 20g a day is only supposed to last 2 weeks, and then you bump 10g a day (a weekly bump) until you hit your sweet spot. In his book, he repeatedly talks about the need for vegetables that are nutrient dense. His diet plan is often misrepresented, but if you take the time to read his actual work and not the bastardization everyone points it, its pretty good.

I haven't read his book; only guidelines of the diet itself.

Not to cause an arguments over carbs vs. fats, but fatty acids are actually the bodies preferred source of energy. Carbs are the preferred source when ATP is made outside of the mitochondria (anaerobically), but as long as you're having some sort of carb intake during the week I see no reason anyone would lose muscle mass during a low carb diet.

My preferred overall diet of choice would be TKD, the targeted ketogenic diet or the Paleo diet. TKD involves carbs pre and post workout, or maybe pre or post workout, but carbs during the day to get your workouts in, and then the rest of the day healthy fats are your preferred source.

I've heard a lot of success stories on general carb cycling as well. I think "which is better" is all relative to the individual.

Some of you guys may not take to this article too well, but I figured it's worth a read anyway.

Can a High-Fat Diet Beat Cancer? - TIME

Rich Knapp 04-05-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

I've heard a lot of success stories on general carb cycling as well. I think "which is better" is all relative to the individual.
Very true.

On a side note: Protein is very thermogenic. Fats are important for the heart health, fiber for system to properly take in nutrients and carbs for energy and mental balance.

It is a personalized balance to find the right combination to loose weight and stay healthy.

All 3 are as important as the other to loose weight, people just want a quick fix now days and don't take the time to find it, they prefer to cookie cutter because it worked for "so-n-so" and not spend the time to find the right and healthy way for there personal body.

Chillen 04-05-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannabesquatter (Post 230152)

Like with most questions like this, it simply depends on several individual and personal factors.

This question is too vague as it relates to the other components of ones diet: calorie content, carbohydrates, and fat consumption. In addition, in your sentence, the three words in which are key are: "Lose weight faster" , as apposed to lose fat faster, and their is simply a difference. For example: In a atypical low carbohydrate diet, where the majority of calories are partitioned to protein and fats (and assuming no dieting before hand, and just beginning a diet to lose weight), a person typically can .....lose weight, through the loss of water retention. However, it isn't the high protein that is causing the water loss--its the lower carbohydrate consumption. In most low-carbohydrate scenarios, protein and fat calories are generally higher because carbohydrate is kept generally lower.

Best regards,

Chillen

thomasjack 04-24-2012 12:06 AM

No its not true if you eat more protein and burn less then you cannot get rid of extras weight. You need to burn more calories as compare to consume it will be the better and easy way to lose weight. If excess calories are store in body tissues then it result in over weight. Use less fat and low protein foods items like fruits, vegetables, nuts. Drink more water instead of using soda of energy drinks.