Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
70sBB
Brawn
Points: 1,504, Level: 22 Points: 1,504, Level: 22 Points: 1,504, Level: 22
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts
Default Portion sizes or calorie counting

Do you think it would be alright to use portion sizes on a plate instead of counting calories? I heard that each meal should be about a third plate of protein, a third veggies and a third carbs.

I'm thinking if I used plate portions to help calculate my daily macros and calories, I could then just focus on eating enough portions instead of counting everything each day.
70sBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

I don't count calories but go by instinct, so I don't see why not.

I did count calories for a week, to ascertain what was what and get a grip on the foods that were being eaten which I think is a good idea but after that I see no sense in continaully counting them unless someone is prepping for a BB show or has to hit a set weight for a sport etc...and then it's not always necessary to count them in order to reach that target.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

If you are gaining, then that's probably an okay way to do it. Just make sure you are moving the scale in the right direction.

If you are trying to lose, then you'll have to be more accurate than that.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Syntha 6
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I don't count calories but go by instinct, so I don't see why not.

I did count calories for a week, to ascertain what was what and get a grip on the foods that were being eaten which I think is a good idea but after that I see no sense in continaully counting them unless someone is prepping for a BB show or has to hit a set weight for a sport etc...and then it's not always necessary to count them in order to reach that target.
That's the same way I see it.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
If you are gaining, then that's probably an okay way to do it. Just make sure you are moving the scale in the right direction.

If you are trying to lose, then you'll have to be more accurate than that.
This is interesting...I don't count calories and am able to lose weight. But, it's interesting that generally we feel it's necessary that we count calories if the goal is to lose weight and yet to gain weight all we need do is increase our food intake, whereas on the flip-side, all that is necessary to lose weight is to reduce intake slightly, in much the same way as for gaining weight.

Just based on the diet aspect, obviously, since extra cardio thrown in, or weight sessions, or general increase in activity will all have an effect.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

The only problem I see with using the plate method is how enormous some plates are. It can be easy to overfill the plate, especially if (like me) you just got new plates that are 50% bigger than the old ones. It won't hurt to measure and count for a few weeks until you get a good idea of what the portion sizes look like. After that, measure it out every now and then to be sure to aren't creeping one way or the other and you will probably be fine.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
This is interesting...I don't count calories and am able to lose weight. But, it's interesting that generally we feel it's necessary that we count calories if the goal is to lose weight and yet to gain weight all we need do is increase our food intake.
Here's my take on it...

When trying to gain, if you get your required protein and calories, all should go pretty well. Worrying about macro percentages isn't required, just adjust your food portions up or down according to how fast you are gaining in relation to how fast you WANT to gain. If you aren't gaining, just add more food. It doesn't really matter all that much which foods, just eat more.

When trying to lose weight, you don't want to just slash your portions. Lose too fast and you'll start to lose muscle. You'll want to cut down slowly so you'll maintain your muscle and strength. So, you'll have to have a general idea of what it is you are eating on a regular basis to know how much to reduce. Eventually your weight loss will stall. Again, you'll need a general idea of where to cut to get the progress started again.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sBB View Post
Do you think it would be alright to use portion sizes on a plate instead of counting calories? I heard that each meal should be about a third plate of protein, a third veggies and a third carbs.

I'm thinking if I used plate portions to help calculate my daily macros and calories, I could then just focus on eating enough portions instead of counting everything each day.
My philosophy is to make the best choice among the best options that gets the job done while living life, and fits your lifestyle--even if its necessary to create a new habit to have it become like riding a bike. Some inconveniences are created to make it become a convenience. Simple as that.

The amount of time you put into studying portion sizes and calories will pay off when things come up in life (no surprise...they always do), like going out to eat, where you can approximate your calories on-the-fly (by eyeballing it) this will eliminate stresses involved when not knowing. Education in what you are doing, simply reduces unnecessary stress.

Simply put, you decide which fits you best. However, don't baby yourself. If you need to takes steps to learn, the other choice, and its going to take extra time, then do it as compared to the alternative where it becomes inadequate. You take time to eat. Now take time to learn what you eating. If you want it. You do what it takes.

Simple as that.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is offline   Reply With Quote