Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Food choice and macro variances (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9502)

Rich Knapp 03-30-2012 11:30 AM

Food choice and macro variances

Just as a example on why I feel its better to track Macro's then calories.

Yesterday my cutting meal of

190 Pro, 114 Carb, 34 Fat, the calories were 1434.

Today the 100% same macro's but different food choices the cals are 1449.

So if you track cals your ratio of your macro's can end up way off.
;)

bamazav 03-30-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Knapp (Post 228683)
Just as a example on why I feel its better to track Macro's then calories.

Yesterday my cutting meal of

190 Pro, 114 Carb, 34 Fat, the calories were 1434.

Today the 100% same macro's but different food choices the cals are 1449.

So if you track cals your ratio of your macro's can end up way off.
;)

I appreciate what you are trying to teach us, but not sure I understand.

190 g x 4 =760
114 g x 4 = 456
34 g x 9 = 306
total calories = 1522

If the macros are 100% identical, how can the calories be different? I am not trying to cause trouble, I am just not understanding. How you are arriving at your conclusion?

Rich Knapp 03-30-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 228758)
I appreciate what you are trying to teach us, but not sure I understand.

190 g x 4 =760
114 g x 4 = 456
34 g x 9 = 306
total calories = 1522

If the macros are 100% identical, how can the calories be different? I am not trying to cause trouble, I am just not understanding. How you are arriving at your conclusion?

It comes from the miro amounts of proteins carbs and fats spread out between the food choices you make.

all the .5 .02 .35 at the end of the day it adds up. Just as the cals can also break down. I can set up meals cutting and never hit 1500 cals but yet hit the same macro's that you list. ;) All in details knowing your foods.

Many food listings are rounded up or down to a whole number throwing true macro's off also.

Also things like BCAA's are a 1 to 1 for a protein gram but yet they aren't the cals you would think they are. ;)

Rich Knapp 03-31-2012 11:40 AM

This also falls in with the do you weigh your food before cooking or after.

I weigh my meats and foods post cooking when all the water and fat that cook off are eliminated giving me a true amount vrs pre cooked.

4oz of chicken breast or turkey is no way even near 4ozs post cooking.

bamazav 03-31-2012 11:55 AM

Thanks Rich! Again, was not trying to start something, just wanted to fully understand what you were talking about. I definitely have a lot to learn.

Rich Knapp 03-31-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 228975)
Thanks Rich! Again, was not trying to start something, just wanted to fully understand what you were talking about. I definitely have a lot to learn.

^5 N/P.

To some I am annal.
To some I am over thinking it.
To some I am out of my mind.
I'd go as far as saying.
To some I'm a moron. lol

BUT to ALL I get ripped. That don't come from just wishing it. ;)

Off Road 03-31-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Knapp (Post 228983)

To some I am annal.
To some I am over thinking it.
To some I am out of my mind.
I'd go as far as saying.
To some I'm a moron. lol

BUT to ALL I get ripped. That don't come from just wishing it. ;)

:rockon: That was cool :rockon:

bamazav 03-31-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Knapp (Post 228773)

Also things like BCAA's are a 1 to 1 for a protein gram but yet they aren't the cals you would think they are. ;)

I was thinking about this the other day. How do you go about figuring the macro of your BCAA intake? I use MPR's Aminos (4:1:1 ratio), 2 scoops, at least once a day, especially when cutting. No calories, so how does that figure into the macros?

Rich Knapp 03-31-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 229000)
I was thinking about this the other day. How do you go about figuring the macro of your BCAA intake? I use MPR's Aminos (4:1:1 ratio), 2 scoops, at least once a day, especially when cutting. No calories, so how does that figure into the macros?

BCAA's are a 1 to 1 for pro macro's. BUT with you just scooping not weighting you will never know what your pro macro's are.

EXAMPLE: This is were the math comes in.

XTend BCAA's 1 scoop = 12.8g's if you brake it down the other stuff in the NEW formula it can be overlooked its so low
but that 12.8g's would be 12.8g's added to your protein macro's.

SO in example your protein macro grams are 150g's (per say) for the day, and you hit them right on but then you take 1 scoop of Xtend 3 times a day you are in reality getting 188.4 protein macro grams per day.

A little higher than your target. ;)

PLUS BCAA's has no cal count but is a pro macro count.

bamazav 03-31-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Knapp (Post 229007)
BCAA's are a 1 to 1 for pro macro's. BUT with you just scooping not weighting you will never know what your pro macro's are.

EXAMPLE: This is were the math comes in.

XTend BCAA's 1 scoop = 12.8g's if you brake it down the other stuff in the NEW formula it can be overlooked its so low
but that 12.8g's would be 12.8g's added to your protein macro's.

SO in example your protein macro grams are 150g's (per say) for the day, and you hit them right on but then you take 1 scoop of Xtend 3 times a day you are in reality getting 188.4 protein macro grams per day.

A little higher than your target. ;)

PLUS BCAA's has no cal count but is a pro macro count.

I hear ya Rich, your exhortations are one reason I am picking up a digital scale in the coming days. My current scale is not too reliable with the light weights like that of the MPR mini scoop.