Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
bebigger
New Brawn
Points: 161, Level: 3 Points: 161, Level: 3 Points: 161, Level: 3
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

bebigger is off to a bad start
Default Vitamins

What vitamins if any will enhance my performance as a body builder?
bebigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Yes, but you may not need them. Vitamins are a dietary supplement. Therefore, if you're diet is locked on, your nutrition alone will probably give you what you need, or you could still use a multi but lower the dosage.

Overall, having the right amount of vitamins and minerals in your body at any time, including when training, will certainly be beneficial to your goals.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
muscle_g
Max Brawn
Points: 7,814, Level: 59 Points: 7,814, Level: 59 Points: 7,814, Level: 59
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: lifting since 12yrs old
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squats, Bench, Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Vitamins/Minerals
muscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributormuscle_g is a dedicated contributor

I take alot of different vits/mins throughout the day, I feel they help my recovery and just keep me overall healthier

Here's what I use
Multi Vit/Min
Vit B complex
Vit C
Vit E
Vit A/D
Vit B12
Potassium
Magnesium
Zinc

Best Lifts
625/450/500 Geared
405/315/475 Raw

Training log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16621
muscle_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

i use Inner Armour Training Peak for my multi.
I'd rather have slightly (not insane amounts) too many vitamins than not enough.
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebigger View Post
When thinking in terms of bodily function, the body as whole, is some of its parts. Each of these parts can have a positive and/or negative impact on the other related parts, dependent on the content of nutrition: pointing to calories, macro nutrients, micro nutrients, and other nutritional variables (keeping genetics, and other variables, equal here).

For example: does it stand to common reason that micro nutrients (such as vitamins, minerals), in which can assist in keeping organ function healthy (liver, skin, kidneys, etc) also aide in the hormonal release, vision, energy levels, and other daily functions, that we hold so dear? I think it does.

Think of it in terms of keeping your human body well lubricated in order for it to perform at its genetic potential--while you provide the application of stimulation progression that will provide the means and reason for growth and improvement.

There has been recently, some debate in some medical journals I have read, on the plausibility of vitamin absorption when taking a multivitamin. Jury is still out on this, and still in research. However, I would focus more on getting your micros through what comes naturally: simply eating. And, within your dietary contents, you learn that you are not getting the micros/minerals you need, you can take a multivitamin. In either case, taking a multivitamin certainly wouldn't hurt you. Any, excess, the kidney will get rid of.

Peace and happiness to you, and like with most things, if you want it bad enough, you have to work at it. It will not be handed to you. If you embark on weight training and want to diet......educate your path, mainly rely on yourself for your "motivation perception" and depend on no one (with very few exceptions), and you will be successful.

Have a great day.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 04-03-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
thomasjack
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1

thomasjack is off to a bad start

Vitamins are the important and compulsory for every body. Human body need vitamins and minerals for better working and keep healthy. Vitamins like A, B, C, D etc. All of these have its own role and benefits. Body builder need more vitamins ratio as camper to normal person. It help to build strong muscles, bones and keep organs in working conditions. Natural and other resource are use to get vitamins and essential minerals.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:43 AM   #7
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I take Animal Pak and some other stuff. Nothing too heavy though.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:49 AM   #8
IronWill
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebigger View Post
I would recommend a balanced vitamin/mineral complex. But it won't be something that you notice as increased strength or anything like. It's more foundational making sure your body has what it needs to function properly.

You will notice that you are pi$$ing alot of it away, but your body will have absorbed what it can from what you supply.

I like the Animal Pak too as it is more than just a multi vita/mineral supplement.
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
emekajokammor
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWill View Post
I would recommend a balanced vitamin/mineral complex. But it won't be something that you notice as increased strength or anything like. It's more foundational making sure your body has what it needs to function properly.
x2

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

And now from the view from Skepticville, population: me.

There's another thread on this topic on MAB where I cite the research papers on this. I'm firmly of the opinion that virtually no one healthy with a reasonably balanced diet needs supplemental vitamins. Well OK, except pregnant women - they need folic acid for sure.

With regards to performance enhancement for bodybuilders:

Over the last few years, a number of studies have shown supplemental vitamins decreasing recovery in athletes. It's not clear why this should be; possibly larger amounts disrupt regular metabolic pathways.

With regard to general health:

The Cochrane Review of the available scientific literature concludes that there is no firm evidence vitamin supplements do any good, and some evidence that they may cause harm.

My advice:

Concentrate on your diet, throw your multivits in the trash and save yourself some money. If you're determined to take them, at least go for a low dosage brand, paying particular attention to the amount of beta-carotene (if it's in there, you want as low as possible).

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote