Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
gotta get fit
New Brawn
Points: 173, Level: 3 Points: 173, Level: 3 Points: 173, Level: 3
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

gotta get fit is off to a bad start
Default regular or diet soda

I must say that I like my soda. I have cut back a lot in the past few months. I can drink either diet or regular. My question is which one should I be drinking?
gotta get fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta get fit View Post
I must say that I like my soda. I have cut back a lot in the past few months. I can drink either diet or regular. My question is which one should I be drinking?
Answer: neither.

But, since you will be drinking it, here's the issue, if you're in the USA which I think you might be, they have different ingredients in their fizzy pop, the sugared version, from what I gather does not have just sugar but also HCFS, I believe...and that is not a great thing for the body.

So, although, the sugar version has no sugar replacements and makes it the far better choice overall in the UK, that doesn't necessarily apply to the same version in the USA where both the sugar-free and the sugared versions may not be so great for the person.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Syntha 6
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

I know where you're coming from. I'm a sodaholic myself. I used to drink anywhere from 12-18 cans of Mountain Dew daily.

Here lately I've been drinking coca-cola, which is a little better for you than MD, but I've only been drinking maybe 3-4 bottles per day. I know it's not good still, but much better than 12 cans of MD.

I replaced sugared pops a while back for coke zero and honestly I think coke zero and diet pop was worse than the sugar packed drinks.

Water is obviously the better solution, but I'm like you, I'll give up all the ridiculous foods but I just can't give up my tall glass of soda.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
JacktheThriller
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 5 years consistent
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
JacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributor

Sugar is not great for your body. And diet regardless of artificial sweetener will have adverse effects in large doses. Many artificial sweeteners are known to cause cancers in rats and mice whether this applies directly to humans is still unknown. I get headaches when i drink over 5 cans in one sitting, so there is just one side effect. I may have a potential hypothesis for this. I believe the body attempts to use the artificial sweetener as real sugar, this artificial sweetener acts as a competitive inhibitor in the glucose pathway to the brain causing headaches.

What do you fear more; potential obesity and diabetes or potential cancers?
JacktheThriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Milk.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Syntha 6
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheThriller View Post
Sugar is not great for your body. And diet regardless of artificial sweetener will have adverse effects in large doses. Many artificial sweeteners are known to cause cancers in rats and mice whether this applies directly to humans is still unknown. I get headaches when i drink over 5 cans in one sitting, so there is just one side effect. I may have a potential hypothesis for this. I believe the body attempts to use the artificial sweetener as real sugar, this artificial sweetener acts as a competitive inhibitor in the glucose pathway to the brain causing headaches.

What do you fear more; potential obesity and diabetes or potential cancers?
So when push comes to shove go with regular soda? Does coke zero have the artificial sweeteners in it too? I'm assuming it probably does since it doesn't have any sugars....

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I don't drink many sodas any more, but when I do, I enjoy the real sugar stuff.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I have a glass of diet root beer each day.

Regular soda...I don't like the idea of pumping sugar into the body hour after hour. Over the long run nothing good can come of this. Diet soda...I do not fully understand the impact of the contents of diet soda, so I try to limit intake.

If I am going to have a Summer binge day where we're at a family gathering and I have to drink soda, I will always go for the diet. I don't need the extra calories or sugar. The lesser of 2 evils.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
gaster
Brawn
Points: 574, Level: 11 Points: 574, Level: 11 Points: 574, Level: 11

gaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good posts

I do not much care for diet. I think it was because when my mom was pregnant with me that is what she drank. now oddly enough she can not stand the stuff either. Must have just been one of those cravings she had.
gaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
Kevsworld
Brawn
Points: 2,611, Level: 31 Points: 2,611, Level: 31 Points: 2,611, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 20+
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Creatine Mono, Protein
Kevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality posts

I would recommend moderation with either. The advantage of diet, of course, is no sugar (regular sodas are loaded with sugar). I think the "dangers" of diet sodas have been over-hyped.