Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Fish (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9416)

musclewannabe 03-21-2012 06:47 PM

Fish

Does eating fish really help improve your intelligence? I have heard this time and time again and just wondered. I ask because I was out for fish on Friday night for lent and the table next to me made a comment about it. One person said Wow I can actually feel myself getting smarter. I had to chuckle at that one.

Off Road 03-21-2012 06:51 PM

I think being healthy makes you smarter. Perhaps eating fish instead of cheeseburgers with baccon and BBQ sause will have a knock-on effect for being smarter. But beyond that, I doubt it.

Jesda 03-22-2012 10:05 AM

There is a strong relation between eating fish and brain development. If you have low levels of omega 3 fats, it can result in learning difficulties, mental illness and behavioral problems.

JacktheThriller 03-22-2012 10:12 AM

Omega 3 is crucial for brain development. Fat in general is necessary for proper brain development. I hate to think about parents who put their kids on low fat diet just because they are on one

bruteforce 03-22-2012 10:23 AM

I'm always a bit nervous saying this, as I expect torches and pitchforks outside my door immediately after, but I believe there is a correlation between the modern low fat, high refined carb diet and the increase in ADHD, Autism, and other developmental issues.

BendtheBar 03-22-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacktheThriller (Post 226498)
Omega 3 is crucial for brain development. Fat in general is necessary for proper brain development. I hate to think about parents who put their kids on low fat diet just because they are on one

I agree with everything said here.

I make sure to give my kids healthy fat rich foods.

BendtheBar 03-22-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 226503)
I'm always a bit nervous saying this, as I expect torches and pitchforks outside my door immediately after, but I believe there is a correlation between the modern low fat, high refined carb diet and the increase in ADHD, Autism, and other developmental issues.

I agree with this as well. From my personal research I feel comfortable with these conclusions.

5kgLifter 03-22-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musclewannabe (Post 226386)
Does eating fish really help improve your intelligence? I have heard this time and time again and just wondered. I ask because I was out for fish on Friday night for lent and the table next to me made a comment about it. One person said Wow I can actually feel myself getting smarter. I had to chuckle at that one.

The Human Brain - Carbohydrates

Brain health dramatically improved by intake of omega-3 fatty acids and fish oils

In addition to that, I also learned that egg was great prior to exams, so who knows, really. In it's simplistic form, a sensible diet is key without the focus on any one particular food or food group taking precedence.

angie828 03-23-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 226503)

Agreed 100%. There seems to be much more of this these days and it is all because of how we let our kids eat.

MVP 03-23-2012 07:03 PM

Fats > carbs.

I've read so much here lately on why fats are so important to the body and we can live without carbs that it's not even funny. Plenty of studies show that glucose isn't the bodies preferred source of energy - fatty acids are. Not to mention glucose has also caused diabetes and such.

They say fish is good for brain development, then they tell us not to eat it because the mercury will make us go retarded? Lol.