Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Scoops vr grams and helping out (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9387)

Rich Knapp 03-19-2012 07:24 AM

Scoops vr grams and helping out
 
OK I see this all over the web, newbes and vets alike.

"I add 2 scoops to my milk" "I do 1 scoop" " Intra I drink a scoop." "3 scoops will do ya good."

In reality does this tell any one anything other than they are taking that supplement?

How are new people to the sport going to learn? Are your grams a world class secret?

OR don't you know eather?

Would you want a doctor to say " I don't know know much to take but take the prescription it will help."

We old timers preach learn about nutrition and your sups before you take them, then we turn around and post scoops? Does this make sence or help these newbe's?

Know your sups and know the grams you are taking.

You know how much is on your bar or geuss. "Well I today I pressed 3 of them round things on each side." lol

If we vets are to help the new people out, we better know ourself. I'm not saying everyone needs to weigh things out. Just post how much you take better than "Scoop" the quality/quanity is so diffrent from one brand to another.

Protein is the wurst culprit for this. Grams protein can very as much as 50 grams per 1 scoop.

So you recommend 1 scoop, 3 times a day to a new guy.
  • Brand A: 50g scoop = 150 g's
  • New guy takes 3 scoops as you recomend to him but Brand B: 25g scoop = 75g protein.

You just robbed him of 75g protein seen as you told him 3 scoops instead of 150g's.

Not only this but lets say your product missed getting a scooped (It happens) so grab a extra one you have laying around. Its a 35g scooped at the line, are you going to do one scoop of a product that is 20g a serving?

I have seen scoopers go from 1.6g (Controlled Labs:REDuction AM SHOT, this is a fat burner)
to (these are whey products)
  • Gold Standard 100% Whey 1 Rounded Scoop(33g) 24g protein
  • Prostar 100% Whey Protein 1 Scoop (about 30g) 25g protein
  • BSN:Syntha-6 whey 1 Rounded Scoop(44g) 22g protein
  • AAEFX FN Pro whey 1 scoop (34.9g) 24g protein
  • AAEFX IGF 33 growth factors whey (1 scoop 46g) 21 protein
I personally don't like the rounded scoops. A rounded is open to personal opinion on what the round amount is.


If your asking a person on how much of something and they reply in "scoops" ask them how many grams it equals. If they can't tell you, I would double think taking advise from them.

Any true vet of any sport or hobby in the health/weight lifting industry knows what they put in there body and why. Not all are as anal as me in weighing them out but they still know.

We old vets need to remember, it isn't like it was when we started and sups were a blanket size and quantity per serving.

BendtheBar 03-19-2012 08:21 AM

I have a scale at home. Going to test the grams today.

emekajokammor 03-19-2012 10:42 AM

So so true Rich! I've been reading your post about this lately so i decided to weigh a scoop.

Facts say 1 scoop (32g) = 25g protein

1 full scoop using scooper that came with it = 46g/scoop

lol, not terribly bad but off by 14g. So my 2 scoops are actually equal to about 70g and not 50g.

Can't really be mad at them. I shoulda been weighing EVERYTHING in the first place. Now i can slow down my protein purchases which have been 5lbs almost twice a month! Bet they didn't count on myth buster Rich to shine a little light on their scheme. :rockon:

ricka182 03-19-2012 01:20 PM

Another reason why we need to fix the FDA, then and only then get them to regulate all supplements. Right now, they would just make it worse than ever, and make a huge black market for stuff they don't know about.

Fix the FDA first, then give them supplements to regulate. I'd be willing to bet 25% of all supp companies go out of business if that ever happens, because they don't disclose what's in their stuff, or how much is.

bamazav 03-19-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emekajokammor (Post 225666)
So so true Rich! I've been reading your post about this lately so i decided to weigh a scoop.

Facts say 1 scoop (32g) = 25g protein

1 full scoop using scooper that came with it = 46g/scoop

lol, not terribly bad but off by 14g. So my 2 scoops are actually equal to about 70g and not 50g.

Can't really be mad at them. I shoulda been weighing EVERYTHING in the first place. Now i can slow down my protein purchases which have been 5lbs almost twice a month! Bet they didn't count on myth buster Rich to shine a little light on their scheme. :rockon:

Now I need to go weigh my scoop. I have been making them level scoops, just not weighing them. I feel so embarrassed. :(

Rich Knapp 03-20-2012 09:44 AM

BendtheBar and bamazav

What did you all find out?

Rich Knapp 03-20-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricka182 (Post 225684)
Another reason why we need to fix the FDA, then and only then get them to regulate all supplements. Right now, they would just make it worse than ever, and make a huge black market for stuff they don't know about.

Fix the FDA first, then give them supplements to regulate. I'd be willing to bet 25% of all supp companies go out of business if that ever happens, because they don't disclose what's in their stuff, or how much is.

This has nothing to do with FDA, only people perception of measuring and if they pay attention to serving sizes. The companies provide a scooper that accommodates a serving and tells us the serving size. If we just assume things its on us. Whether we want to just dive in with a scooper or weigh out what they say is a serving, that is on us.

What whould you do if they didn't provide a scooper and only told you the grams of a serving?

Did you ever read your sample packs? I get them at shows all the time. 50% of them are 2 serving packets. We assume it one serving.

They tell us the servings, its your choice to take more or less. They hope you take more because then you see results and you think it is from 1 serving and are impressed so you by more. As a rule of thumb 3/4 people taking supplements that use a scooper are taking 1.2-2 servings thinking they are taking 1 serving all because of the personal opinion of were the level full mark is (80% are not the top of scooper but at a line down a little farther on the scooper) , what rounded and heaping.

The sup companies don't make there own scooper's they order them or pick them from a list of the suppliers ready made ones.

Rich Knapp 05-03-2012 07:52 AM

OK, weighed out the Karbolyn with original scooper.

Scooper is 12g's empty.

0 scale out and weigh product results.

Level scoop to the line by the handle, is right on the money and at 50g's. 1 serving.


IF you just dig in and do a rounded scoop to the top it averages 70g's being 70 carbs.

NOTE: Karbolyn is a 1 to 1 ratio carb to gram weight.

markievicz 05-03-2012 07:55 AM

i never use the scoop provided by the tub i buy.
i have one scoop that i have had for years and its 50g , i just transfer it from tub to tub and that way i know where i am at,

excellent point though Rich

Rich Knapp 05-03-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markievicz (Post 238272)
i never use the scoop provided by the tub i buy.
i have one scoop that i have had for years and its 50g , i just transfer it from tub to tub and that way i know where i am at,

excellent point though Rich

Your weight will very by density then so its not as accurate as you think.

Same scooper at a level line by the handle:
NF Pro scoop to the line. 10 grams.
IGF-33 (more dense whey powder) 20 grams.

Can you use the same box for a ton of rocks as you do for a ton of feathers?
But they both are a ton.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.