Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor
Default New TKD

#1- (3) eggs, (3) sausage patties, (3) slices of bacon, (1) slice of toast covered in butter = 60g of protein

#2- (2) cans of tuna, (4tbps) of mayonnaise, handful of nuts = 40g of protein

#3- (3) strips of chicken breast, salad with spinach leaves, romaine lettuce, ranch dressing, shredded cheese, bacon bits = 34g of protein

#4- (1) sirloin steak strip, salad with spinach leaves, romaine lettuce, ranch dressing, shredded cheese, bacon bits, handful of nuts = 30g of protein

Total g of protein = 170

am 156-160lbs of LBM. What do you think about this one?

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

I am not a nutritional expert so feel 100% free to ignore me but I don't think sausage patties and slices of bacon have any place in a cutting program. Sure, they are DELICIOUS but not an optimal choice from a cutting standpoint. Eggs, salad, beef, chicken and tuna is an excellent daily combo though. Maybe throw some chicken in with the eggs in the morning?
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
I am not a nutritional expert so feel 100% free to ignore me but I don't think sausage patties and slices of bacon have any place in a cutting program. Sure, they are DELICIOUS but not an optimal choice from a cutting standpoint. Eggs, salad, beef, chicken and tuna is an excellent daily combo though. Maybe throw some chicken in with the eggs in the morning?
I would have to agree. Maybe some sirloin with the eggs, or pick up some stir fry beef, usually pretty lean, and make a little breakfast stirfry.

I would also consider making your own mayo out of olive oil. Most store boughts are not that great as far a s good fats go.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

The sausage and bacon are recommended in the keto diet since they have no carbs. The focus is on high fats and high protein and those foods qualify in that category. I think just about every keto diet I've read has included them.

I doubt I could ever make mayonnaise out of Olive oil. I wouldn't even know where to start with that and Olive oil tastes disgusting to me that's why I blend it with my shake.

As I said in my journal, I've never went on a strict diet before in my life. I'd rather have a so so diet that follows the principles that I will actually stick with than a perfect diet I'll never commit to.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
Old 03-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
The sausage and bacon are recommended in the keto diet since they have no carbs. The focus is on high fats and high protein and those foods qualify in that category. I think just about every keto diet I've read has included them.

I doubt I could ever make mayonnaise out of Olive oil. I wouldn't even know where to start with that and Olive oil tastes disgusting to me that's why I blend it with my shake.

As I said in my journal, I've never went on a strict diet before in my life. I'd rather have a so so diet that follows the principles that I will actually stick with than a perfect diet I'll never commit to.
Understood. Look for real smoked bacon, not the artificially smoked or smoke flavor added junk. You are correct for a TKD diet, just try to find fresh product, even better is local raised. The packaged stuff tends to be treated with a lot of unnecessary and potentially harmful extras. If you have a local butcher, check them out.

If you don't use Olive Oil maybe one of the nut oils. Mayo is just basically oil and egg, whipped up together, so it is not hard to make. Again, most of the store bought stuff is full of soybean oil and other ingredients that you don't really need. I would rather see you getting that same fat % from a better source than Mayo.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
wesrman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Chin Ups
wesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributor

I have been eating sardines instead of tuna lately. They're lower in mercury and high in omega 3s, vit D, and B12.

Are you new to the whole low carb thing?
Old 03-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Understood. Look for real smoked bacon, not the artificially smoked or smoke flavor added junk. You are correct for a TKD diet, just try to find fresh product, even better is local raised. The packaged stuff tends to be treated with a lot of unnecessary and potentially harmful extras. If you have a local butcher, check them out.
I'm glad you mentioned this, because I bought the microwavable already cooked bacon. I'll run to the store tomorrow evening and buy some more.

Quote:
If you don't use Olive Oil maybe one of the nut oils. Mayo is just basically oil and egg, whipped up together, so it is not hard to make. Again, most of the store bought stuff is full of soybean oil and other ingredients that you don't really need. I would rather see you getting that same fat % from a better source than Mayo.
I didn't even know that. I'm Googline homemade mayo recipes right now. Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
I have been eating sardines instead of tuna lately. They're lower in mercury and high in omega 3s, vit D, and B12.

Are you new to the whole low carb thing?
Yeah, I've never done keto before. Everytime I've tried I've ended up overdoing it and just never really abiding by it.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Stop by the Brute Eats thread for recipe ideas and daily menus. I'm hard core paleo/low carb and keep it below 50g a day usually, unless I go on a binge. The first few days low carb are rough, but after that it gets easier.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

Guys, you will probably be pretty shocked to know I am down to 217 from 223 already.

I have replaced conventional pop for coke zero. After I get the craving for regular coke to go away, I will go strictly to water and will have 1 cheat day a week. I'll probably spend that cheat day taking my wife out to dinner somewhere.

Anyway, I feel much better already!

Old 03-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
Guys, you will probably be pretty shocked to know I am down to 217 from 223 already.

I have replaced conventional pop for coke zero. After I get the craving for regular coke to go away, I will go strictly to water and will have 1 cheat day a week. I'll probably spend that cheat day taking my wife out to dinner somewhere.

Anyway, I feel much better already!
Sounds about right. Good work MVP! At first, a lot of water will flush out, but don't let anyone tell you its all water weight, I hardly think I lost 145 pounds of water that way.