Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
MikeC
Uber Brawn
Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

MikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributor
Default Lactose intolerance and whey

I don't get it. If someone is lactose intolerant why do they avoid whey isolate and all cheeses. Isolate has no substantive amount of lactose and most of the cheeses I eat have little to no sugar count which means very little lactose. What am I missing?
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
I don't get it. If someone is lactose intolerant why do they avoid whey isolate and all cheeses. Isolate has no substantive amount of lactose and most of the cheeses I eat have little to no sugar count which means very little lactose. What am I missing?
Well, I have a problem with milk, I'm intolerant but to which actual part of the milk I have no clue and it's not a thing I can be bothered to check because I can generally keep it under control.

But, it means I can only have small quantities of milk or foods containing milk before it causes a sugnificant build-up in my system which is when the problems kick in. So, I may have a very small cube of cheese, this week, but then not touch the stuff again for about a month or more.

It could be that it's the regular consumption which would eventually cause their symptoms to surface and the easiest way to avoid that is to not consume the product.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

5kg has a good point. I'm lactose intolerant, but can handle about 1/2 a cup of milk every few days without issue. Whey protein and aged cheeses give me no trouble at all. On the other hand, I gave a friend of mine a protein shake one day and he had to go to the hospital from the reaction. We had thought he was lactose intolerant, but it turned out it was the protein he was allergic to.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
MikeC
Uber Brawn
Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

MikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributor

Here's what I don't get: lactose is the sugar in milk. If a milk product has no sugar and therefore no lactose, like whey or certain cheeses, why do lactose intolerant people avoid these items? It's not the milk but the lactose causing issues, correct? I probably sound like a dolt but this is itching in my brain.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Here's what I don't get: lactose is the sugar in milk. If a milk product has no sugar and therefore no lactose, like whey or certain cheeses, why do lactose intolerant people avoid these items? It's not the milk but the lactose causing issues, correct? I probably sound like a dolt but this is itching in my brain.
No, I don't believe it's always caused by the lactose in milk, sometimes it's purely the milk that is the issue whether lactose free or not.

I've gone to using Alpro to mix with my oats, a small quantity because it's not the best thing to be drinking, but it gives me no issues at all and I get to eat (well drink) a decent oat shake that way, chocolate flavoured to boot but mostly because the cholcolate version of the Alpro has less overall fat.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Here's something which may help:

Milk Allergy and Lactose Intolerance - Diagnosis and Treatment Options
Old 03-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
If its purely lactose intolerance, like me, then there is no reason to avoid lactose free things, but people can get confused when it comes to cheese especially. Mozzarella is a raw cheese, like Queso Fresco, and still has a fair bit of lactose. Sadly, these are two of my favorite. Some don't understand the difference.