Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
titus_teen
Brawn
Points: 739, Level: 14 Points: 739, Level: 14 Points: 739, Level: 14
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

titus_teen is off to a good starttitus_teen is off to a good starttitus_teen is off to a good start
Default Calories for muscles

I wonder if I am getting enough calories for my muscles to build them up. How many calories do I need to intake to build muscles. I am only 16 and weigh about 145 and am 5'4". Here is a sample of my meals, I eat 4 to 5 times a day.

breakfast: two or three pieces of toast with jelly
lunch: sandwich of some sort(usually tuna salad or chicken breast)
snack: fruit or a granola bar
supper: steak, baked potato, broccoli
snack: PB and J sanwich
titus_teen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by titus_teen View Post
I wonder if I am getting enough calories for my muscles to build them up. How many calories do I need to intake to build muscles. I am only 16 and weigh about 145 and am 5'4". Here is a sample of my meals, I eat 4 to 5 times a day.

I would say no. Add proteins and some good fats and eat. You are young, take advantage of your fast metabolism and test. levels and eat to add mass.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

It all depends on the quantity you are eating there. I know when I was your age, my folks got us steaks that were easily a pound each, and potatoes that were that big as well. load them up with butter and sour cream and you're set for that meal.

I'll admit, I really don't know a whole lot about nutrition needs for someone your size, but I would be willing to hazard a guess that more food wouldn't hurt, especially in the breakfast area. Throw in 3 or 4 eggs in the morning for some good fat and protein. Cook them in butter for epic flavor.

If you need recipe ideas, check out Brute Eats Feel free to add rice, beans, bread, potatoes, corn bread, grits, oatmeal, masa, polenta, pasta, etc to up the carbs if you like.

A good thing to do would be measure out what you are eating for a week. Don't change anything, just get the calorie counts from everything. Add them up, throw them in a spreadsheet, and analyze them. If you're getting under 3000, try upping it to that. If you don't gain any weight, keeping bring it up. No fun getting fat, but a little fat and lots of muscle is a great way to get where you want to go in the long run.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

We cannot know if you are taking in enough calories unless you tell us how many calories you are taking in and if you are gaining weight on a consistant basis. Throw some math at us...
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by titus_teen View Post

If you have time for a few eggs in the morning, add in a piece of whole grain toast with peanut butter, and a glass of milk...much better breakfast.

How long between Bfast and lunch? No time for a snack? A couple of hard boiled eggs would go well. If no snack, lunch of chicken breast would be good, tuna salad is good, but watch the dressing. Lots of mayo is nasty and no good.

Fruit snack or granola is good here...I love granola, and fruit.. Low sugar choco chip, with a bag of grapes or clementines... damn, so good!

steak is good if it's a quality cut, small baked potato, or large sweet potato, broccolli is good. Probably not eating steak every night..but a similar protein would good. chicken, pork, fish.. always add a veggie if you can as well.

I hope that's not a late night PBJ... if you're hungry before bed, more fruit would a better choice. Or even, a big tall glass of ice cold milk. More satisfying than you think late night. And it would help with overall growth, providing a slow release of protein while you sleep.... I drank almost 2 gallons a day at your age.. milk rules.

ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Eat meals, not snacks!
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

When I was your age, I ate probably 3x that amount. And I knew what I know now, I would have eaten more and lifted smarter.

Take full advantage of the education you can receive on here. You will never be capable of building muscle at the rate of which you are capable now. That's a scientific fact. And a hard truth for us older folks.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
And a hard truth for us older folks.
Who you calling older? Everyone knows.....

GEEZERS RULE

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote