Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
angie828
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

angie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributor
Default Banning Peanuts

How do you feel about schools banning peanuts or peanut products? I understand where they are coming from just sticks for the kids that are not allergic to it. My nieces school bans it in all shapes and forms. It can not be brought into the school at all. anyone else know of schools like this?
angie828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I think it's silly and just the way this liberal society works these days. If someone isn't smart enough to protect themselves, then pass rules and laws that limit the freedoms of the rest of us. Some day that kid that's allergic to peanuts is going to have to go out in the real world and fend for himself...or die.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

The problem is that peanut allergy is one amongst the commonest of allergies found these days, and since so many foods have peanut oil or peanut contaminant possibility, they're more than likely just watching their own backs for fear of repercussion.

There are plenty of other allergic responses to food out there including egg, milk and so forth but it would be almost impossible to ban them so nobody bothers; if they did, what would be left on the menu?

Kids should be taught, that's true, but they should also be carrying epi-pens, if they are already allergic, and should know how to use them. Most people, kids included, if they have an allergy to foods, will generally avoid the food but it's the hidden sources within other foods which are the real problem because "hidden" ingredients cannot be known for the most part.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
The problem is that peanut allergy is one amongst the commonest of allergies found these days, and since so many foods have peanut oil or peanut contaminant possibility, they're more than likely just watching their own backs for fear of repercussion.

There are plenty of other allergic responses to food out there including egg, milk and so forth but it would be almost impossible to ban them so nobody bothers; if they did, what would be left on the menu?

Kids should be taught, that's true, but they should also be carrying epi-pens, if they are already allergic, and should know how to use them. Most people, kids included, if they have an allergy to foods, will generally avoid the food but it's the hidden sources within other foods which are the real problem because "hidden" ingredients cannot be known for the most part.
Babs, love all your posts but at least here in the US peanuts are not the most common allergy.

Common sense is the most common allergy. I see more people freaking out and going into shock at just the prospect of using common sense it is frightening. If I could invent an epi -pen for this particular allergy, I would be a rich man. After that, grasses are probably the next most common allergen.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

< Im eating Natty PB now.....Extra Chunky

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Babs, love all your posts but at least here in the US peanuts are not the most common allergy.

Common sense is the most common allergy. I see more people freaking out and going into shock at just the prospect of using common sense it is frightening. If I could invent an epi -pen for this particular allergy, I would be a rich man. After that, grasses are probably the next most common allergen.
LOL I probably should have said "food allergy"...I think the common sense allergy is pretty much global
Old 02-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Nuts are one of those odd allergies as well; I'm allergic to brazil nuts and hazelnuts so you'd thik I would also be allergic to peanuts but not the case...I found the reason why, when I was watching a reality chef programme, the chef was also allergic to brazil nuts and the reason is that they are a tree nut whereas the peanut is a ground nut.

Nuts from what I gather should not be introduced to the child's system too early on because they don't have the necessary capabilities to break them down and that's where the allergy comes in, or something to that effect....however, tribal communities probably give their children nuts at a very early age, especially within communities that rely on them for protein when meat is scarce (though that may not necessarily be peanuts either)...there's the other issue that peanut oil was used or abused so much at one time in childrens' food (jarred baby food) that the systems of the young in those era's were overwhelmed by it and developed an intolerance and some allergies.

A good reason to vary diet and not rely on one source as a main base but unfortunately commercial food producers will never learn, all they see is money and cheap food to bulk up their product for a higher return on their investment.

Oh, just throwing that out there btw
Old 02-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

Actually the peanut isn't a true "nut" -- it's a legume.
Valentin Konstantin Platz
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie828 View Post
How do you feel about schools banning peanuts or peanut products? I understand where they are coming from just sticks for the kids that are not allergic to it. My nieces school bans it in all shapes and forms. It can not be brought into the school at all. anyone else know of schools like this?
My sons school is like this as well. You also cannot bring in any home made treats for the class due to allergies and food safety.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
fullthrottle
Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1

fullthrottle is off to a bad start

I know of a person who can not touch peanuts at all. If she comes in contact with them, then she is in serious trouble. She does carry an epipen at all times. She could have an attack if she even touches a doorknob that someone has touched after eating a pack of peanuts.
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote