Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Do I need supplements? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8856)

titus_teen 02-02-2012 11:03 AM

Do I need supplements?

I am 16 years old and trying to really lift. I was told that I should be taking supplements but when I said something to coach he said I do not need them. What is your take on it?

JordanK91 02-02-2012 11:14 AM

You wont need supplements if your diet is good :rockon:

bruteforce 02-02-2012 11:39 AM

Only two supplements I can see being beneficial are a multi-vitamin and fish oil. The rest are just a nice way to spend a lot of money and not get a whole lot out of it, especially at your age. Get your protein from animals, get plenty of veggies, and enough calories to grow, and you're set. Later on when you're an old man like me, you might think about other things, but give it a while. You won't benefit from them just yet.

Rich Knapp 02-02-2012 01:05 PM

I agree with Brute.

You have your age in your favor. Go as far as you can with it first. During this time research sups so when you reach the point of going to some, you have the knowledge. ;)

storm1507 02-02-2012 02:41 PM

Eat smart, train hard, rest well, don't stress, and enjoy life. WIN!

Off Road 02-02-2012 03:20 PM

No, supps are not needed.
Food, definitely needed!

Mr.Silverback 02-02-2012 03:23 PM

in agreeing with everyone else...Food, Lift, Sleep, Repeat...perhaps a Multi and Fish Oil, but as someone said..you got age or your side bro! Go for the sky and beyond!

Chillen 02-02-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titus_teen (Post 213287)
I am 16 years old and trying to really lift. I was told that I should be taking supplements but when I said something to coach he said I do not need them. What is your take on it?

Your 16 years old, which at the moment, is the most important component within your personal goals: Your body is not at its full development yet and likewise your natural hormonal development has not reached its genetic potential. IMO, at this age, one does nothing (when concerning external supplements) to muck this natural and normal development process up. One leaves it alone, and let the body do its thing. Vitamins, and fish oil (fatty acids) supplements are fine, other than this you "manipulate" what comes natural: Eating and activity (exercise). Once your body is finished naturally growing and maturing, there may be a time in the distant......future, where other types of supplements may be of use, but this will largely depend on some personal variables.

tank316 02-02-2012 07:11 PM

I get this all the time with our young athletes at school. Food is your friend right now!! As well as a solid workout program. And follow that program to a T. Also, learn how to cook your food. I had several football players at my house last summer teaching them the fine art of the George Foreman grill, lol. As well as how to cook rice/oats/ etc. I know it sounds funny, but its really the first step in making a difference in the gym and on the playing field! Spend a lot of time on the net reading about nutrition!

Spartigus 02-02-2012 09:40 PM

I agree with everyone else, a good multi vitamin and fish oil is great. I also like taking extra vitamin C tablets.