Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I would argue we are fat because they are eating too much empty processed food and the body is not satisfied. We live on white poisons, corn syrup, margarine and other fake foods, corn oil and rape seed oil. Let's not forget MSG (and hidden variations) which stimulates our desire to eat more and is added for that vary reason.

I would argue that it's very difficult to get fat on a non-processed foods diet.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-21-2012 at 07:50 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

OK, I'll get the spread off the keys .

I know this is an area that we have very different views on.

I have to be honest here: I don't put any stock in Weston Price. As a result of one of your posts a while back, I did some reading about him. My conclusion was that his evidence base was pretty flawed, though I freely admit that I have little specific expertise in the area.

My academic background is in biology, and my particular interest these days is in the distinction between science and pseudoscience, in all areas. This makes me very sceptical - perhaps overly so - about claims that appear out of kilter with available research evidence.

The ideas that grains are not especially good for us, and that saturated fat is not a causative factor in disease seem to fly in the face of an international (as opposed to just a US) database of evidence. That doesn't mean that they cannot be right, of course, and I promise to look into those claims and give them serious thought.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanhhauser
The ideas that grains are not especially good for us
This wasn't isn't the conclusion of Weston Price. The point was that civilizations that moved to processed foods and additives had a greater amount of health issues. I think we all agree on this point.

Weston was not performing a case study. He noted in his travels as a dentist that culture that had not "advanced" to processed foods were healthier, had far fewer cases of the modern diseases and better teeth. Price did begin to suspect that diet was somehow linked to tooth decay early in his practice, but this switch to nutrition took over 35 years to evolve.

He was traveling as a dentist and later moved his focus to nutrition as he felt his discovery hinted at something important. He did not embark on his journey as a nutritionist, nor was it his intention to study nutrition, health or diet.

Price did not embark on this journey to prove a certain eating style was better, and in fact, his book has nothing to do with Paleo eating per se.

I would also add that Paleo eating is almost always framed through a very limited view, that being "anti-grain". Grains aside, Paleo is against food additives, fake foods, processed sugar and flour, corn syrup and starch, MSG, etc.

Framing Paleo in only an "anti-grain" manner is missing the big picture. Processed foods are a scourge to the health and weight of modern man. Even if you added grains but removed all processed foods from your diet you would still be degrees and degrees healthier.

Many of the peoples that Price interacted with did use grains. But they did not use processed foods or fake foods.

I personally am no strict Paleoist, but I am currently a strict non-processed foods eater.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-22-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Here is a good starter article for anyone interested on the topic:

The Neglected Nutritional Research of Dr. Weston Price, DDS

I encourage anyone reading it to set aside Paleo and look at it as a processed food vs. non-processed food topic. Many of the peoples that Price interacted with ate grains and legumes to varying degrees.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
seth78
New Brawn
Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

seth78 is off to a good startseth78 is off to a good startseth78 is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Kids these days are not fat because of excess fats in their diets or an over-abundance of grains...They are fat because they eat larger portions, are lazy, and don't go outside and play any more!
I agree 100%. They have too much to do inside such as video games and the computer.
seth78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Its funny, I actually read labels and choose things with more fat and no sugar. But, I have a confession to make...

If not for soy, I would not have made it very far. As a baby, I couldn't handle milk or any other baby food. For 5 months, I gained no weight from the day I was born. Then I was put on soy formula and made up for lost time.

I don't do a whole lot of soy these days as I can handle meat just fine, though lactose in appreciable amounts keeps me in the bathroom for hours still. I'm staunchly anti-grain and anti modern food for the most part, brutally dogmatic about it as well. Show me a study that says pork will kill me in 3 years and I'll ask you to pass the bacon. And here's why.

I was always a bit of a chub, but never too fat until I began eating at fast food joints. My home cooked meals revolved around fresh bread, meat, potatoes, and vegetables grown in our garden. I ate like a horse at all times, and got outdoors and played around a lot too. I began eating the poison pedaled at the street corner and gained 15 pounds. No big deal. 275 at 6'5" isn't that bad.

Then I got a desk job and just kept on eating. 90 pounds later, diabetes, looming kidney failure, fatty liver disease, high blood pressure, and cholesterol too high to accurately measure got my attention. I dropped the refined foods, cooked every meal at home, and dropped to 215 from 360+ in 14 months. Gone were all the problems. And they've stayed away with my current lifestyle, even as I add weight and strength.

My approved grain list is pretty damn short. But here it is.
Quinoa
Barley
Rye

These seem to have the most nutritional value and the fewest detrimental effects on my system. Your mileage may vary, but I've at least found a way to stay healthy.