Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member
Default Upping protein wisely?

OK, The holidays and this new max effort program have not been good to me body fat wise. I am noticably chunkier, in a good way, as well as a bad way I will point out.

Anyway, so I've gotten back on the wagon lately and revived my food log, measuring volumes accurately, etc.

Turns out I am hitting pretty close to my goal ratios. 40% Protein, 30% fat, 30% carbs spaced out pretty decently, and now recently have got those carbs down to way more good carbs from fruit and veg as opposed to pasta and cake. I can stick to this formula and it works with my routine.

However, I'm realizing I am not not hitting my protein goals, averaging only around 165g the past two weeks, and I weight 195, and I should weight around 185. Worse, I seem to be craving calories like a dinosaur in a pet shop. Now, calories are easy to find, but maybe not so good for me because if I add more protein, then big calories, etc. come with that, so I'd be over my calorie limit of around 2000.

Bottom line, I am struggling to balance protein and calories without going hungry and without pigging out on bacon.

ANy thoughts here are appreciated. Thanks!
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

The trick is to satisfy your bodies craving for calories but not get overly fat doing so.

Sounds complicated but it's not really, just cut out all junk food and make each meal nutritious. I would also begin to systematically eat more than 2000 calories, go to 2500 with clean food and see the effect that has. I'd be very surprised if 2500 of absolutely clean food with your current training wouldn't be beneficial. I have a feeling that like I did in the summer, you have cut back for too much, too long and dented your metabolism.

Also personally I wouldn't worry massively about protein intake, you're doing fine, get some in each meal.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I am with Fazc regarding not worrying. My main goals each day are to hit a minimum level of protein and to make sure I am eating enough fats. Carbs fall into place from there.

The easiest way for me to intake some of my protein is protein shakes. I go for whey without carbs aspartame several times a day. 2 shakes is 216 calories and 48-50 grams of protein.

Regarding calories, 2000 does seem a bit low. I have a slug metabolism and can maintain around 2500 (or a bit more) if I am eating mostly clean). If you are getting cravings you need to listen to your body.

I would also add that the older we get the greater chance some of us are a bit more carb/insulin sensitive. If you put on weight quickly you might want to dial down the carbs a bit, and dial up the fats.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
However, I'm realizing I am not not hitting my protein goals... if I add more protein, then big calories, etc. come with that, so I'd be over my calorie limit of around 2000.
The easy answer to your protein question is to include a protein shake. They will give you the extra protein you want without really raising you calories. A good quality product will taste good when mixed with nothing but cold water and will help to curb the appetite a little.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
MikeM
Max Brawn

MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

OK, excellent help.

I definitly think I'm becoming carb sensistive as it seems like I look at bread or pasta and it goes right to my gut like a lead weight, along with a bag of chips to keep it company apparently.

As for my 2000 cal mania, it's funny, but when I lost 40 pounds two years ago, it was because I stuck to a 2000 cal diet like a maniac, so I have it in my head that 2000 cal is the magic number for me. However, I workout much differently than I did back then (45 min cardio and 45 min with high rep weights everyday).

I am also realizing 2000 calories is especially not working now mainly because I can't stick to it consistently without just attacking a large pizza and a six pack after a few days and having a day of like 3500 cal. So, I think 2500 of good clean food seems like a smart way to go to keep things evened out and stay in control.

Also, I did think of protein shakes as an obvious answer, but I had been trying to really do all my body transformation with actual food and not really depend on supplements, but I'm realizing that is just silly and maybe detrimental. I'm too busy to always be finding the right food, so having protein handy just makes sense, instead of grabbing the nearest thing in a pinch.

So, throwing all this together, I'm going to post a sample diet which is very similar to what I actually what I ate one day last week and see what you think. I usually try to mirror this template, although not exactly the same food every day, but similar types of things consumed.

early Breakfast:
3 eggs, 4 0z of meat and vegetables scrambled in, milk

Snack: Greek yogurt and fruit usually bananas or strawberries/blueberries

mid-day workout - (will add a whey shake after this everyday in future)

late Lunch: Leftover veggies or big bowl of salad, piece of leftover meat/chicken or can of tuna, milk and some fruit

Snack: nuts and fruit and cheese or apple and peanut butter (love apples and PB!)

7ish Dinner: 8-10 oz meat, 2 veg (1 green 1 another color), rice or potato or beans or corn, and salad

Before bed: 1/2 cup cottage cheese

This, or something similar, is something I can stick to fairly easily, but let me know if there's any obvious or egregious things to change.

*Note - Usually breakfast and dinner are pretty disciplined for me, where I have been cheating mostly has been a post workout lunch of just foolishness on a plate like pizza or chili fries or nachos or something, or not having a defined snack and just grazing on a variety of things, handfuls of whatever here and there, not all of them good obviously, before dinner.

Also, sometimes my wife simply demands a pasta dinner and I end up eating too much spaghetti or something like that.

Actually that is a good question, I work out Mon, Tues, Thur, and Fri, so if I had to have a pasta meal like lasagna or spaghetti, when's the best time to work that in with the least impact? Or it doesn't matter, just plan for it and minimize the damage?

Thanks again!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Remember the older we get, the more efficient our body runs and less cals it needs. This is why all the "I eat like it did as a kid and now I'm getting a belly." comments come from.
This is were I cringe when young people (below 35) tell a person 40 or older to eat like a 18 year old. The first tell tail sign they don't truely know what they are talking about.

Get the 1.25g per LBM. Protein should not be based on your body weight because your not trying to save or build the 20 or more lbs of body fat.

Find your LBM then make sure to get at least 1.25g per LBM lbs. Then fill in the rest to meet macro's the cals will fall in place.

Good fat like buts and natty peanut butter keep you full longer. once you get close to you macro fats for th day. Salads.

This is why so many people don't count fiberest veggies. It burns just as many cals to digest them as they have in them.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Mike I'm going to be 46 in March and I am hating the getting older also because I gain weight to fast on what I used to cut on. My last show I was all the way down to 900 cals just to drop fat. The first hurtle to get over is understanding that no matter how we feel or how much we can lift we are getting older and our metab system runs more and more efficient each year.
We have to say good bye to them eat like a cow and gain no fat days and like you said, hello to the days of just look at food and its like we such it in threw our eyes. lol
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

Actually that is a good question, I work out Mon, Tues, Thur, and Fri, so if I had to have a pasta meal like lasagna or spaghetti, when's the best time to work that in with the least impact? Or it doesn't matter, just plan for it and minimize the damage?
Overall I don't think it matters much. I like to save my biggest meals for about an hour or so after lifting.

But when cutting, most lifters allow themselves a meal each week to eat something different. For non-bodybuilders I personally think you should just allow that to be flexible. Use it like a get out of jail free card and play it when you need it during the week.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #9
MikeM
Max Brawn

Thanks, Rich! I had always heard your metabolism slowed as you age, but I never heard it phrased like it becomes more efficient. That makes sense.

Yeah, I will need that cheat meal, I am certain of that. I don't necessarily want to be below 10% or anything like that. I just want to lose most of the gut. So, that makes sense too.

Excellent help. thanks!