Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
mab54
Max Brawn
Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Scivation whey
mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine
Default Intermediate Fasting and Powerlifting

I am taking BtB advice to help try and help make this forum even better by asking more questions in 2012!

I was considering after my next meet trying intermediate fasting execpt having a protein shake with a few eggs for breakfast. The only reason I am thinking of trying it is because it would just be a lot easier for me. I wouldn't have to wake up as early to make breakfast, I wouldn't have to eat a cold/warm temp meal at lunch, and I would have a lot more food in me for lifting. I have also heard that it can help you lose some bodyfat which would also be nice.

My main questions is does anyone have any experience with it? Did you lose any size/strength? Did you have more energy like some say the experience?

My main goal is powerlifting so if any powerlifters have had any experience either it would be greatly appreciated!
mab54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I have used it for over 3 years. I have found that without BCAAs and a little bit of protein during the underfeeding that I lost muscle. I did a pretty detailed experiment including bodyfat readings and lost about 7 pounds of muscle in 2 months. When I added BCAAs and protein shakes I was able to retain mass.

My underfeeding plan is simply 4 protein shakes and BCAAs with these shakes. I take in about 420 calories and 100 grams of protein during the day. I also take fish oil as well.

My energy is great and I am always wide awake and never sluggish during the day, unless I simply don't sleep much. I also am never hindered in the strength gaining department.

If you do use this approach, do yourself a favor and don't worry about being OCD. I like to let it slide on the weekends occasionally.

I will also add to make sure you are eating plenty of fat in the evening. This will add good calories. It can be real easy for younger guys to really undereat using this method. I often pack in 2000+ calories at night, sometimes up to 3500 plus if I am not trying to stay strict.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
mab54
Max Brawn

mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine

Thanks for the quick reply!

Do you think the just the eggs and protein shake in the morning are good, because I don't think I will be able to take one to school.

Trust me I won't under eat, right now eating around 5k+ calories. I just don't have the time to eat a lot during the day time with school, and the extra 20-30mins of sleep would be nice instead of eating a large breakfast.

Would like to start it next week but really scared I might crash with it.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #4
Beast
Brawn
Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Red meat
Beast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributor

I've just started with this method, protein shakes and fish oil in the day and a chow down at night. Seems to be working well for energy, will be monitoring fat loss. It's certainly convenient and a lot easier to adjust to than I thought.
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Intermittent?
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
mab54
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Intermittent?
I typed both intermittent and intermediate fasting and I don't really see the difference. With both you choose how long your fasting periods are, is there a differnece or are they the same thing?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

I have not tried this but I have thought about using something similar.

Jamie Lewis from Chaos and Pain has basically been doing this recently, he said in one of his blogs he has like 4 or 5 shakes during the day and then a high fat meal at night. Seems to work well for him. I might give a try at some point. But I too would be scared of crashing.

Some of the guys at my gym are kinda doing this, but they eat around noon, since they train early and then only have protein the rest of the day. I think they have carbs for a 2 hr window.

The only way to find out if it works is to try it!
Old 01-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
mab54
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
I have not tried this but I have thought about using something similar.

Jamie Lewis from Chaos and Pain has basically been doing this recently, he said in one of his blogs he has like 4 or 5 shakes during the day and then a high fat meal at night. Seems to work well for him. I might give a try at some point. But I too would be scared of crashing.

Some of the guys at my gym are kinda doing this, but they eat around noon, since they train early and then only have protein the rest of the day. I think they have carbs for a 2 hr window.

The only way to find out if it works is to try it!
Might have to check out Jamie Lewis I have heard him mentioned a few times on this site but haven't really looked into him.

I'm like you really afraid of a crash, but thinking I might give it a try since I still have around 2 1/2 months before the meet. May be next week would like to hear some more view points, even opposing ones just wondering.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
mab54
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
I've just started with this method, protein shakes and fish oil in the day and a chow down at night. Seems to be working well for energy, will be monitoring fat loss. It's certainly convenient and a lot easier to adjust to than I thought.
How many shakes do you do during the fast? Also with the adjust did you notice any strength loss at first?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
mab54
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Intermittent?
I've been looking around I think it is the exact samething, but I think the "correct" is intermittent. Only reason I put intermediate is because I saw someone on a different forum do that.