Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Fish oil (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8474)

8pack 01-05-2012 10:42 AM

Fish oil

I hear a lot of people talk about fish oil. What is it and why do we need to take it?

bamazav 01-05-2012 10:46 AM

Good article on fish oil.

Fish Oil - AlanAragon.com - Fitness Based on Science & Experience

Soldier 01-05-2012 11:11 AM

Google "fish oil benefits" and you'll get to spend the next 10 hours reading about the 40 billion benefits of good omegas. People used to routinely get tons of omega-3's just by eating the food they had. You can thank modernization for needing pills to get them now.

Fire36 01-05-2012 11:50 AM

Fish Oil Benefits

Of greatest interest to those trying to get big, however, are the following benefits:
Reduction of joint pain
Increased energy levels
Decreased inflammation throughout the entire body
Improved functioning of the immune system
Increased strength levels
Increased testosterone levels
Increased levels of HGH (human growth hormone)
Increased oxygen delivery to the cells during workouts
Decreased bodyfat
Increased insulin sensitivity
Increased sex drive

These are the biggest benefits to those of us in the strength training world, the above information was compiled by one of the few people I trust when it comes to strength training adn conditioning.

jasonjduke 01-09-2012 02:30 PM

I would like to add my personal viewpoint to this supplement thread:

Fish Oil - especially cod liver oil - is the primary supplement for one to take. It has many necessary fats and vitamins, but most importantly, it contains incredible amounts of naturally potent Vitamin D and Vitamin A (and their respective metabolites.)

Every single cell in the body has a vitamin D receptor. This is like a key for every cell to grow and regenerate. All other supplements will become much more potent when using this one as the primary.

From what I have seen, depending on the individual, it can take up to 3 months and generally 4 weeks to really start noticing the benefits.

Vitamin D (plus A) is also an important link to testosterone function within the body. That should be important enough.

TitanCT 01-09-2012 04:00 PM

Not every supp is about gwtting moretestosterone. Therer are many other, better, benefits than that to fish oil. Use it for fat loss, joint health, and so on. Thats what it does best.

jasonjduke 01-09-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanCT (Post 205984)
Not every supp is about gwtting moretestosterone.

I believe you misunderstand. Vit D and A are an important link to testosterone function. Regardless if you have more or less - without fish oil and its highly bioavailable Vitamin D and Vitamin A (and their metabolites) your testosterone is less functional.

If you want more testosterone there are far better sources.:)

8pack 01-26-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire36 (Post 204544)
Of greatest interest to those trying to get big, however, are the following benefits:
Reduction of joint pain
Increased energy levels
Decreased inflammation throughout the entire body
Improved functioning of the immune system
Increased strength levels
Increased testosterone levels
Increased levels of HGH (human growth hormone)
Increased oxygen delivery to the cells during workouts
Decreased bodyfat
Increased insulin sensitivity
Increased sex drive

These are the biggest benefits to those of us in the strength training world, the above information was compiled by one of the few people I trust when it comes to strength training adn conditioning.

Wow it does quite a bit. Thanks for the great info. I may have to start taking it.

Shadowschmadow 01-26-2012 10:02 AM

Might I recommend getting the enteric coated capsules. Unless you want fishy burps.

bruteforce 01-26-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 211148)
Might I recommend getting the enteric coated capsules. Unless you want fishy burps.

Fish burps are pretty nasty. You might also try freezing the capsules, it worked for me on getting through a bottle of the cheap stuff.