Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
wannebe91
New Brawn
Points: 213, Level: 4 Points: 213, Level: 4 Points: 213, Level: 4
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

wannebe91 is off to a bad start
Default Protein shakes

Do you drink a protein shake as soon as you wake up? My pal told me this weekend that is the best time to drink one. Is he correct do you think?
wannebe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

No, I drink coffee first thing when I wake up.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannebe91 View Post
Do you drink a protein shake as soon as you wake up? My pal told me this weekend that is the best time to drink one. Is he correct do you think?
Think about this for a few moments.

Dependent upon how many hours you have slepted, and whether you ate before you went to bed (the unknown variables), with most persons the blood sugar is at its lowest point (dietary trend dependent) in the morning when they first get up.

The contents of the Protein Shake can also depend (whether it has carbohydrates added in, low carbohydrate type, etc, etc).

With this said, it absolutely fine to have protein shake in the AM when you fist get up, if it fits within your dietary mechanics and/or you do not have hunger problems (which can arise from drinking calories, as they digest faster as compared to hard protein types).

Meal timing "can have its place", dependent on some personal variables.

However, trust me, they body will figure it out in the end. Dependent on your personal goal wants---having protein and some carbohydrates in the AM. is not a bad idea at all, to kick start your insulin and blood sugar when you first get up, and start your daily activities.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 12-26-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Yo can ha e a shale or some eggs..but also you need water and some good carbs. Think about it, youre pretty much waking up in a fasted state.
Your body needs its macros to get going.
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Some people have there best results with 30+ grams of protein first thing in the morning, this has 3 or more grams of Leucine (depending on the pro source) in which triggers your body into protein synthesis. Don't have to be a shake. It can be any food of a 30g + protein content.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanct View Post
yo can ha e a shale or some eggs...
w_ _ ld y_ _ l_k_ t_ b_y _ v_w_l?

If you eat first thing in the morning, eat first thing in the morning. If you want a protein shake first thing in the morning, have a protein shake first thing in the morning. Eat something containing a fair serving of protein and you'll be fine.

Last edited by Shadowschmadow; 01-03-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Shadowschmadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
I do, but that is because I train first thing in the morning (40 minutes after waking). I mix a scoop of vanilla whey with 10 ounces of OJ. Then I am off to train at the gym. I don't do this on off days, but I will still take a PWO shake with my breakfast to keep the calories up where they need to be.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
w_ _ ld y_ _ l_k_ t_ b_y _ v_w_l?

If you eat first thing in the morning, eat first thing in the morning. If you want a protein shake first thing in the morning, have a protein shake first thing in the morning. Eat something containing a fair serving of protein and you'll be fine.
Yeah yeah. Was typing too fast for my ipad...and had a client to get to...suck it. Lol
Old 01-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn

You need water, carbs, and protein at the very least. Id also say some fats...as soon as you wake up. Your body is literally starving, you just fasted while you slept.