Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
Roy1787
New Brawn
Points: 1,131, Level: 18 Points: 1,131, Level: 18 Points: 1,131, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Roy1787 is off to a bad start
Default Fat after working out is bad?

Someone told me that eating fat after working out is bad and that it prevents protein and carbs from being absorbed. True or myth?
Roy1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

No. Careful who's advice you take. You're better served looking things up on your own.

Last edited by Shadowschmadow; 12-06-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Shadowschmadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Part of the basis of this myth is that fat and carbs shouldn't be combined, because the insulin from the carbs would cause you to "store" the fat. I've read studies that show no correlation between combining fats and carbs and gaining bodyfat, and also in my personal experience I've found this to not be the case. Our bodies aren't quite that predictable.

I don't go out of my way to add fat to my post workout eating, but I also don't avoid it. The only thing I go out of my way to add is carbs, because I pretty much only eat them after training.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

On that note; there's one thing that really bugs me about most people, and especially those who make this kind of comment.... There's a total disregard for digestion and all that's involved.

What you eat is not just magically (read instantly) absorbed because you worked out, nor is it magically absorbed any other time of the day. Digestion is a process that takes time, and I can guarantee you that your body will still be digesting fats you ate earlier in the day, assuming you eat on a regular schedule like the mass.

Same goes for any other kind of macro and stupid theory.

Last edited by Shadowschmadow; 12-06-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Shadowschmadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
What you eat is not just magically (read instantly) absorbed because you worked out, nor is it magically absorbed any other time of the day.
I can't believe how many people still think that everything you eat is absorbed and stored within a 20 minute window. And you just can't change their minds on the matter.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I can't believe how many people still think that everything you eat is absorbed and stored within a 20 minute window. And you just can't change their minds on the matter.
I've noticed that people generally take what they read first as gospel and then defend it to their grave. The sad thing is that most of those first words come from bro-science or muscle magazines.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I've noticed that people generally take what they read first as gospel and then defend it to their grave. The sad thing is that most of those first words come from bro-science or muscle magazines.
This is true of just about everything. Religion, philosophy, everything. My theory is that changing your mind forces you to admit, even if just to yourself, that you were wrong. Most people would rather laugh at logic that goes against them than admit they were ever wrong.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
This is true of just about everything. Religion, philosophy, everything. My theory is that changing your mind forces you to admit, even if just to yourself, that you were wrong. Most people would rather laugh at logic that goes against them than admit they were ever wrong.
I try to keep an open mind when it comes to exercise and nutrition. There's so many different theories and facts out there. You only hurt yourself when you refuse to try/learn something new. A lot of my current beliefs go against what I used to know to be true, but as long as the evidence is there to back the claim then I have no issues with admitting I was wrong, or adapting the new theory. If I can't verify the claim to be true, I mostly dig deeper into the subject or write it off after an "investigation".

To me, knowing whether something is right or wrong is not enough; I like to know why for myself, and so I can explain it to others when asked.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

On a similar note, someone pissed in a thread last night about eating after lifting, calling it meal timing nonsense.

What point does not eating when you are really hungry serve? It's certainly not optimal for muscle and strength building. I thought it was simply common sense to eat when I was most hungry.

I understand the desire to tip the bodybuilding world on it's end, but hunger is hunger.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Meal timing... Things like this make me want to paint myself green, tear up my clothes and rip someone's head off.