Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
MHO, everyone should count calories for at least 2 weeks. It doesn't have to be goal oriented or anything like that - just count. Counting calories really opens your eyes to a new perspective on food, and I believe it often times helps people make smarter food decisions. When you really know what you're taking in, it has potential to slap you in the face with a harsh realization that you need to make a change.
Good point. I agree completely. For a new lifter, not counting, even for a while, is a set-up for a high likelihood of failure.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I actually enjoyed counting calories at first.
Lol, I didn't... I was a train wreck. It was early in my learning curve and I was paranoid about everything, and it stressed me out so much. Like if I decided to have a treat and eat a cookie, I would read into the label too much and be like "this cookie has more chocolate chips, so its going to be wrong" and it would discourage me. Or if it 1 cookie was bigger than the other, I knew it had more calories and I'd stress out over stupid shit like that.

Now I'm just a fat ass....
Old 12-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Lol, I didn't... I was a train wreck. It was early in my learning curve and I was paranoid about everything, and it stressed me out so much. Like if I decided to have a treat and eat a cookie, I would read into the label too much and be like "this cookie has more chocolate chips, so its going to be wrong" and it would discourage me. Or if it 1 cookie was bigger than the other, I knew it had more calories and I'd stress out over stupid shit like that.

Now I'm just a fat ass....
Oh yeah, I can see that happening if you do it early on. I had already lost a ton of weight before I ever counted calories, so I already knew not to sweat the small stuff. If anything, I cheated more while counting because I could make up for it later if I wanted to.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #14
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
You should at least count them long enough to get a rough idea of your maintenance levels. Otherwise it's just guessing when you try to gain or lose.
I agree with this one, getting an idea of your basic intake can show if you're not eating enough or if you're eating way too much for your goals; having some idea of what intake is being consumed allows you to tweak things.

My rule, in addition to that one, is if my body is telling me it's hungry, then it needs more food...seems to have worked so far, even when it insists on food at 11pm at night after having eaten plenty throughout the day; but you have to understand/know the difference between the body wanting more food and you wanting more food.

When training really hard, the body may use a lot more calories than you think it needs...hence the "FEED ME!" signals it gives, and as long as bodyweight/composition is still on track, you're getting the right signals.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The older I get the more I need regulation. I don't count calories per se, but I do understand calorie content of everything I eat because I took time to learn what I was putting into my body. This created habits that assisted my success.

I know that when I am cutting I need to limit my meals to a plateful. I don't care what's on the plate. It's more important to limit intake volume. Obviously heaping platefuls don't work either, but you get the point.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #16
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
The older I get the more I need regulation. I don't count calories per se, but I do understand calorie content of everything I eat because I took time to learn what I was putting into my body. This created habits that assisted my success.

I know that when I am cutting I need to limit my meals to a plateful. I don't care what's on the plate. It's more important to limit intake volume. Obviously heaping platefuls don't work either, but you get the point.

Yep. I can fix very healthy food, but if I'm planning on losing weight, I have to put my plate in the sink as soon as I get up from the table. Other wise its too easy to end up back at the table with another plate of pork roast and greens.
bruteforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #17
tonpaulerc
Brawn
Points: 845, Level: 15 Points: 845, Level: 15 Points: 845, Level: 15
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

tonpaulerc is off to a good starttonpaulerc is off to a good starttonpaulerc is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
If you're reaching your goals, don't worry about it. When you need to change things you'll probably need to at least keep a count for a little while. Some people will naturally eat more or less, which will work great for either cutting or bulking, but when that person needs to do that other they probably won't have as much luck.

If I eat what I want then I better be bulking. I can't cut without keeping serious track of what's going in my mouth.
Good advice. Thanks. I am reaching goals so I do not even think twice about what I am eating and counting.
tonpaulerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #18
angie828
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

angie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributor

I do count calories but then again I have even before I started lifting. Just force of habit.
angie828 is offline   Reply With Quote