Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Default Cheese

Just for discussional purposes...

Reading about people's diets on several forums, we often come across "healthy eating" but one thing that intrigues me is the cheese aspect. A person will be seen to be having full-fat milk, good wholesome meat no deli stuff and so forth...then we get to the cheese, and often see:

String Cheese
Cheese Singles

Wouldn't it be wiser and make more sense to eat from a block of cheese, slice a piece off? Cheese Singles (and possibly String Cheese) are made specifically in order to go through machinery so that it does not stick and the company has minimal loss in that respect, a bit like bread dough which is not the same as homemade dough consistency.

Curious on other's thoughts about this and if anyone knows a bit more about cheese production, in regard to singles and string cheese, please feel free to add because I'm not entirely sure what process it goes through.

In regard to block cheese, I have heard that they can now speed that process up as well and that cheese of today is not that great, on the whole, but I'm sure it has to be better than the Singles and the String Cheese; though, I normally go for the Danish Blue styles (on the few occasions I allow myself cheese, slight milk intolerance, so I have to restrict it) and hopefully the processses for those sorts of cheeses have not altered much over the years.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Wouldn't it be wiser and make more sense to eat from a block of cheese, slice a piece off?
Several family members are cheesemakers. I have spent time touring their plants and I can tell you that most cheese we eat around here has minimal processing. It is usually:

1) Milk
2) Enzymes
3) Salt brine/bath

Done. Our string cheese is made this way.

I live in a cheese rich culture where most cheese products are not processed fake cheese. Outside of the fake "American cheese" singles, of course.

String/whip and slice variations are real 100% cheese in a different form.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Wow, that's really specific. I've never worried that much about it. I use shredded cheddar and some american singles sometimes.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Several family members are cheesemakers. I have spent time touring their plants and I can tell you that most cheese we eat around here has minimal processing. It is usually:

1) Milk
2) Enzymes
3) Salt brine/bath

Done. Our string cheese is made this way.

I live in a cheese rich culture where most cheese products are not processed fake cheese. Outside of the fake "American cheese" singles, of course.

String/whip and slice variations are real 100% cheese in a different form.

So, it's really just the Singles that are more processed? Plasticy looking? That's good to know. I don't know whether areas alter their processes but unlikely I'd imagine, so that's good to know.

Would you go for a block of cheese that crumbles when cutting it or one that seems to depress under the weight of the knife, a bit like soft toffee?
Old 11-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
So, it's really just the Singles that are more processed? Plasticy looking? That's good to know. I don't know whether areas alter their processes but unlikely I'd imagine, so that's good to know.

Would you go for a block of cheese that crumbles when cutting it or one that seems to depress under the weight of the knife, a bit like soft toffee?
Around here it's really just American cheese that is the fake plastic stuff.

Regarding your question, I've never seen cheese crumble other than blue, and we don't usually purchase that in blocks.

Quote:
In regard to block cheese, I have heard that they can now speed that process up as well and that cheese of today is not that great, on the whole, but I'm sure it has to be better than the Singles and the String Cheese;
They might be able to enhance enzyme reaction speed through temperature manipulation, water purity, or some other voodoo, but at the end of the day it's still milk, enzymes and salt.

If you look at the nutrition contained in each as a unit, even if taste is different due to reduced aging, it's still the same inherent nutrition (unless it's processed to be low fat of course).

But quite frankly I don't think things are speeding up much for most cheeses. Around here the blocks still sit like they did for the needed time. Orders are placed months in advance so manufacturers adjust production as needed.

Our string cheese is very fresh. We also have string cheese that is merely cheese blocks cut into long strips.

I rarely see any heavily processed cheese products in the cheese aisle, other than American and low-fat cheeses.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

I know it's not as "good", but I'm a sucker for the mouth feel of the more processed stuff. It's just so creamy compared to the more flavorful but less processed "real" cheeses.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I let my mozzarella warm up before eating. It becomes very soft.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn

One day I'd like to try some real mozzarella. I've never had the real stuff from waterbuffalo, and I've heard the flavor is days away from the stuff from cow's milk.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

One thing I forgot to mention...

In the USA cheesemakers can use unpasteurized milk if the cheese ages at least 60 days.

SO, look for cheeses with longer aging dates. They will be inherently better for you. IF the manufacturer uses unpasteurized milk, that is.

The plants my family members work at use unpasteurized milk. It goes straight from the cow to the semi-truck to the plant.

I imagine most companies would opt for unpasteurized milk when possible, simply because of reduced cost and time.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #10
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I love cheese, almost any cheese. I love a really sharp cheese. Might have to go cut a slab now.

BTB you are spot on, Moz is best warmed to room temp.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote