Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
It has been suggested for people that are prone to overeat that it is better for them NOT to eat as frequently as 6 meals because that then reinforces the problem. So, for some, there are good reasons to stick to less meals as long as they can get the required nutrients in.
I can vouch for that. I will ultimately eat more total calories if I snack throughout the day.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
Jesda
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Jesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pexxo77 View Post
hey.
so we all know that eating 6 meals or 6 times per day is optimum for improving your metabolism.

I'm used to eating 3 meals per day, but for the other 3 meals, what do you guys eat, or suggest that I can eat? Is it really supposed to be 3 other meals, or can it be snacks - and if so, what snacks?
I always thought that 3 of them were meals and 3 were snacks. But I guess you could probably do it as 6 mini meals. I have heard of people doing this before.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #13
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pexxo77 View Post
hey.
so we all know that eating 6 meals or 6 times per day is optimum for improving your metabolism.
This is false. Human metabolism is a complicated subject matter, and simply cannot be reduced to eating more frequently. And, eating (the macro types, calories, etc,--when enjoined together) are only one componant in the complicated set that encompasses one's metabolism. The IF diet (for example) can put this in much perspective. The body is rather impressive in absorbing/maintaining itself regardless of the number/frequency of meals one may eat in one day.

Be more concerned with calorie allotment and the macros you are consuming, rather than the frequency/number of meals.

In regards, to meal frequency: Find a number of meals that allows you to hit your calorie/macro target, while allowing you to deal with your hunger. Snacking in between main meals are fine (if this allows you to hit your calorie/macro target).

What you eat depends on where you are at with your calorie/macro targets for the day. On a so-called normal diet where one is consuming all three macros reletive to their body weight and personal goals, and then subsquently living life while it throws you bones (where food can be problematic), personally, I always error on the side of Protein and Carbohydrates (If I am not limiting them, dependent on goal want, as I am right now).

Carbohydrates are important in that it is the main fuel source when performing weight baring exercise, and will assist in holding water in the muscle--and both are important in regards to performance and repair.

What is your age? What do you do for a living? What is a typical day like? Is getting "quality" meals in problematic for you? Once you understand what you personally need in calories (dependent on personal goal), examine your life, and make a plan accordingly, and see how you can fit in meals that will hit your calorie/macro targets.

Again, the number of meals are only important if the frequency and timing of the meals are causing you problems (in being hungry all the time, being too sleepy/tired far to frequent {insulin/hormone releases}, etc, etc).

Tinker with the frquency (what ever this is) and see what works for you, and then hit your personal calorie/macro targets. Plain and simple, brother.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 11-22-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #14
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Well time for me to go against the grain. I prefer 5-6 meals a day because it seems to keep cravings and hunger pangs at bay. It is also easier for me to reach my 300+ plus grams of protein a day a little easier without feeling like a bloated pig. No broscience, just personal preference.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:19 AM   #15
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97

Training Exp: > 13 years
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
Well time for me to go against the grain. I prefer 5-6 meals a day because it seems to keep cravings and hunger pangs at bay. It is also easier for me to reach my 300+ plus grams of protein a day a little easier without feeling like a bloated pig. No broscience, just personal preference.
I agree with g here.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #16
angie828
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

angie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributor

Almonds are a favorite of mine. I also like to eat lots of veggies and fruits. Very tasty.
angie828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #17
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie828 View Post
Almonds are a favorite of mine. I also like to eat lots of veggies and fruits. Very tasty.
1-2oz of almonds every day for me...nom nom ~Raw, unsalted.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #18
seth78
New Brawn
Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

seth78 is off to a good startseth78 is off to a good startseth78 is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
This is false. Human metabolism is a complicated subject matter, and simply cannot be reduced to eating more frequently. And, eating (the macro types, calories, etc,--when enjoined together) are only one componant in the complicated set that encompasses one's metabolism. The IF diet (for example) can put this in much perspective. The body is rather impressive in absorbing/maintaining itself regardless of the number/frequency of meals one may eat in one day.

Be more concerned with calorie allotment and the macros you are consuming, rather than the frequency/number of meals.

In regards, to meal frequency: Find a number of meals that allows you to hit your calorie/macro target, while allowing you to deal with your hunger. Snacking in between main meals are fine (if this allows you to hit your calorie/macro target).

What you eat depends on where you are at with your calorie/macro targets for the day. On a so-called normal diet where one is consuming all three macros reletive to their body weight and personal goals, and then subsquently living life while it throws you bones (where food can be problematic), personally, I always error on the side of Protein and Carbohydrates (If I am not limiting them, dependent on goal want, as I am right now).

Carbohydrates are important in that it is the main fuel source when performing weight baring exercise, and will assist in holding water in the muscle--and both are important in regards to performance and repair.

What is your age? What do you do for a living? What is a typical day like? Is getting "quality" meals in problematic for you? Once you understand what you personally need in calories (dependent on personal goal), examine your life, and make a plan accordingly, and see how you can fit in meals that will hit your calorie/macro targets.

Again, the number of meals are only important if the frequency and timing of the meals are causing you problems (in being hungry all the time, being too sleepy/tired far to frequent {insulin/hormone releases}, etc, etc).

Tinker with the frquency (what ever this is) and see what works for you, and then hit your personal calorie/macro targets. Plain and simple, brother.
I always thought that it would make your metabolism speed up as well. I thought if you always had something in your stomach it was like adding fuel to the fire.
seth78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #19
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth78 View Post
I always thought that it would make your metabolism speed up as well. I thought if you always had something in your stomach it was like adding fuel to the fire.
It takes time to digest so basically you will have something in your stomach throughout the day. Though I wouldn't suggest goin under 3 meals. It's mainly about getting the right amount of macros per day, you hit those and your good to go.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote